four

.-- .... . -.

"I care about you." That was all Travis really wanted to hear him say. For so long, his only company was his strict, abusive father. After so much time spent being lonely, Travis wanted someone to love him.

He shook his head. How could anyone love him? He was nothing more than a homosexual in denial, one who brought down other gay people when really, deep down inside, he knew he was no different than them. Arguably worse than that, he was a dick. He seriously didn't mean to be so rude. It just came out.

Just a few moments ago, he wanted nothing more than to break Sal down, to make him cry or scream or do something, but now, he just wanted to see Sal smile again.

   Travis didn't understand where the anger came from. It wasn't that he hated Sal. In fact, it was the exact opposite.

   Enough of this. Travis swung the bathroom door open and made his way into the living room. "Sally face?" He mumbled. He was nowhere to be seen.

"Sally face?" He called out again, walking down the hallway. Travis paused in front of Sal's room. He'd never been there.

"Hey, " he knocked on the door, "can I come in?" when he didn't hear an answer back, he opened the door and walking in, seeing the boy seated quietly on his bed.

"Sal, " Travis mumbled. He looked so upset. He didn't know how he could even make him feel better. "Listen-"

"That was the first time, " Sal whispered, grabbing the fabric of his pant leg.

"Huh?"

"The first time you called me by my real name." Sal looked up at him with hazy eyes.

"Look, Sal, " He sighed, "I'm sorry. What I did was cruel and- and-"

"You keep saying sorry, " Sal mumbled, "but then you just do that same thing again within hours."

"I know." Travis sat beside him. "Something comes over me. No one deserves to be treated how I treat you. I don't hate you. I've never hated you."

"I know that," Sal grumbled. "I know that, but I try so hard and go so far out of my way to try and be nice to you and make you be nice to me, but-"

Travis clenched his jaw. "I know. My religion is really important to me and-"

"It seems like it hurts you way more than it makes you happy," Sal said.

    "That's not true..." Travis mumbled. At least, he wanted to believe that it wasn't true.

   Sal stared at him through the holes in his prosthetic. "Listen, Travis," He spoke slowly, "I want you to answer me honestly."

   Travis stared back, feeling a tightness in his chest.

    "Do you really believe that?" Sal mumbled, not breaking eye contact. "That all gay people are bad and going to hell?"

   Travis reddened, glancing away. "Well that's God's word, so, I-"

   "You," He lifted his index finger and pressed the tip of it against Travis's chest, through his shirt, "Do you really believe that?"

   Travis stiffened, leaning back slightly. Sal's eyes wouldn't leave him. "This is disrespectful. Aren't you supposed to respect all religions?"

   "Aren't you supposed to respect all people?"Sal shook his head, "Besides, I only asked you a question. It's payback, for when you tried to rip my prosthetic off."

   "Right..." Travis swallowed.

    Sal waited a moment before asking again. "Do you believe that?"

   Travis hesitated, staring down at Sal's pale finger, which was still pressed against his shirt. He closed his eyes for a moment, letting his blonde hair fall in front of his eyes.

   "...Yes." He said, staring at him.

   Sal sighed and looked away, letting his hand drop. "I see."

   "If God says it's true, it must be. God hates gay people."

   Sal raised his eyebrows. "Well, that's not very nice of him."

   "Excuse me?" Travis furrowed his brows.

   "What have gay people done to deserve being hated?"

   "Being gay." He said.

    "Huh," Sal leaned back on his arms, "That's pretty messed u-"

   "Listen, Idio-" He cut himself off, "Sal, I wish it wasn't true too, but that's the way things are."

   Sal's eyes widened, "So, we can agree that hating gay people simply because they're gay is mean and wrong?"

   "Well, yeah, but-"

    "So then why do you support someone who does that?" Sal stood up. "Sorry, I don't mean to tell you what to do, but it seems like it torments you a lot."

  Travis stared ahead in disbelief. "He's God. You can't just say he's wrong."

   "Sure I can," Sal shrugged. "I'm not Christian, and if God really does exist, at this rate, I'll be going to hell anyway. Almost everyone will."

  "Not me," Travis whispered.

    "Well," Sal glanced at him, "good for you then, I guess. You're pretty mean a lot of the time, but I knew it's not really... You." He mumbled. "About the prosthetic thing, don't worry about it. You're not the only one who's ever tried to rip it off."

__

  "Hey, it's Sally face!" Larry cheered as Sal walked into his room, Travis following behind him.

   "Hey, it's Larry face!" Sal grinned, fist-bumping him.

   Larry stiffened as Travis walked through the door. The two made eye contact and Larry frowned. "What are you doing here?" He said slowly.

   "It's okay, Larry," Sal smiled, "He-"

    "I thought I told you to leave Sal alone. What's your obsession with tormenting him?" Larry brushed past Sal, towards Travis.

   Travis scoffed and look away. "I told you." He mumbled to Sal. He had wanted to stay upstairs while Sal went to visit Larry. "There's no reason for me to be here."

   "I thought maybe we could all hang out," Sal said.

   "Why is he here?" Larry mumbled. "Have you forgotten all of the awful things he said to you, man?"

   "No," He shook his head, "But, he's been trying, I think, and-"

   "Please leave." Larry glared at Travis. "Sal has faith in you for whatever reason, but I don't. You could apologize a million times for the things you did, but it wouldn't make a difference. I know you don't mean it."

   "Larry," Sal frowned, "wait."

   "See ya," Travis waved goodbye, feeling his chest twist into a knot, "Sally face."

   "Wait!" Sal clenched his teeth, But Travis was already gone, closing the door behind him.

   "He's really trying." Sal insisted.

   "Sal," Larry narrowed his eyes, "Don't bring him back here, okay, man? Not until he's really made a change. I can't stand seeing his face."