*9*

Shae opened her eyes to gentle darkness, one that was illuminated by the soft flickering light of candles. In the dimness she could make out a tomb and if it weren't for the way the magic in the cave seemed to cradle her she might have panicked. Her curiosity about where and how she got here was for the time being shielding her from her most recent memories. Sat on the edge of the tomb was a blue figure that seemed to be glowing slightly. It smiled at her and sat with her on the cold stone floor. 

It was strange that she wasn't finding this terrifying. The flood of her memory chose this moment to remind her what fear felt like. Fear was seeing your lovers head on a spike with a threat carved into it. That was fear and it overwhelmed her completely. Her scream echoed through the room. Derys winced. He wasn't used to the living anymore. He placed his palm on her shoulder and let the calm of the cave travel through him and into her. It wasn't ideal but he didn't know what else to attempt. He was mostly at a loss for words. Her grief was consuming and the part of him desperate to feel again wanted to take that pain away.

" Losing a loved one feels like the world has ended doesn't it?" He eventually managed. He had tried to make his voice sound like it came from the spirit but it bounced around the room like an echo. Shae was still sobbing. 

" He died quickly, I felt it." Derys tried again but Shae's sobbing only grew louder. Derys felt himself give up and wrapped the girl in warm memories of a forest she'd never seen. Even with the comfort, she continued to cry until her body couldn't produce any more tears and her breathing was little more than shaking waves of anguish.

Across The Halves and unbeknownst to Thandre tensions were rising like bread in an oven. Ofrin despite his many and deep faults was extremely well-liked among the young witches. Now as their rage towards his killers grew, plans for revenge were spreading quickly. Not only within the remnant of Orin's group but within those families who'd lost their loved ones to the mob. Leading these plans was the young witch who had been beaten the night before when trying to retrieve a piece of one of the victims. Her anger was palpable and when Lily was bought to her home, the small group found themselves immediately under attack. Insults were yelled at and hissed at the coward who ran away. Donnie felt anger rise in his chest but Mae raised a hand to stop him. 

" They've lost a lot and wouldn't understand because they don't want to understand," she explained later as they guided Lily into her home.

Inside a plump woman who looked the spitting image of Lily only with black curly hair was surprised to see the girl walk through the door. It was clear that the woman had been crying, and with her daughter back safely the tears followed once again. Mae gave Donnie a look and the pair left quickly. Sometimes hanging around just wasn't needed.

" Well, you might as well help me fetch Shae's things." Donnie wondered how exactly he ended up here and why Mae seemed to suddenly be giving him orders but considering he had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go he decided to go along with it. 

" How long have you lived here?" he asked as they turned through the crowded and narrow streets. Mae looked thoughtful for a moment. 

" About ten years. Took us around three to get here. It was a difficult crossing. Lost all my family except Shae." Donnie nodded in understanding. 

" I lost mine too, accident in the cloud sea. I don't really remember much.

" They fell into mutual silence. In the end, Mae spoke up with a welcome change of subject. The mood had become too heavy to continue as it was. 

" We're here."

Mae led them into a cramped and narrow house, inside were a group of young women. Who glared at Mae as she interrupted their gathering. Some unsavoury words crossed her lips as she saw the group.