Lin Beifong- Go to Sleep Darling (angst)

You were laying on the couch in you and Lin's shared apartment. Lin was working late per usual and you wanted to spend time with her, so you waited. You had the radio playing some music while you tried to read.

You'd made it three chapters into the book when you heard the doorknob jiggle. Thinking it was Lin you stood up to go and greet her. The door slammed open revealing men from a triad called The Sapphire Dragons. Your eyes widened along with the men in front of you.

"Get out of my house, boys. I don't want to fight."

"Too bad we've come to collect what we want. You guys, take anything you find expensive enough. I'll deal with little miss brave here." The leader spoke. The other men laughed and rushed away, the sound of shattering glass following.

"Let me introduce myself, miss. I am Shuri. Leader of the Sapphire Dragons. And you are?" The man had a gross smirk on his face while he spoke. You had no idea what this guy was going to do to you but it wasn't going to be good.

"Y/N"

"And you are in Chief Beifong's house, why?"

"I live here."

"Interesting. Would be a shame if she found this place a mess. I suppose you're going to clean it up so she'll never know?"

"No. Because when you get beat along with your little boys over there this will be a crime scene."

"Funny to assume you'll be able to beat us."
You growled and bent a bunch of silverware from the cabinet towards the intruder. He dodged most objects until a knife hit him in the shoulder. A small grunt left the man's lips as he ripped the knife from his body.

"Nice shot. It won't happen again."

"We'll see." Shuri threw the knife back at you to which you caught it. He got in a firebending stance and thrust a fist forward, shooting red hot flames towards your face. You ducked under him as he bent and grabbed him by the legs, throwing him onto the kitchen table. The simple wooden table broke in half under his impact weight.

Lin's going to kill me.

"Alright little girl. Let's see how much lightning you can handle." Shuri threatened before zapping you in the thighs and a shoulder. You collapsed on the spot. With one arm still able to move you bent a fork into his stomach. The man grabbed the fork and pulled it out. He stood over your mostly immobile body, blood dripping on your face.

"Looks like you've lost."

"No. We both lost."

"Why?"

"Because we're both going to die." you bent a knife into his neck and ripped it across and then down his chest. Shuri gasped and stabbed the fork into your chest, breaking a rib. You saw him begin to stagger as he went to grab more silverware and a big kitchen knife. He shoved forks and butter knives into your shoulders and stomach before grabbing the kitchen knife and slashing it over your stomach.

"I see your point."

"I'm glad." You heard Shuri's body collapse next to you and all his buddies run out into the night.

"Beifong's going to kill me even though I'll already be dead, isn't she?"

You laughed lightly before coughing up blood, "Yeah. You did break into our apartment and killed her girlfriend." The dying man sighed.

"You're right. Nice job though, I underestimated you." He said before taking his final breath. Soon after Shuri died Lin rushed into the apartment.

"Y/N! I came as soon as I heard!" You smiled wide, blood trickling down your chin.

"I'm in here Linny." Lin's footsteps echoed as she rushed into the room. Lin's face showed pure horror. A small 'Oh my spirits.' fell from her lips. She kneeled next to you and rested your body on hers, holding you close.

"You're going to be okay, Y/N. I promise." You grabbed Lin's hand and squeezed it as hard as you could.

"No Lin. I'm... I'm..."

"Shh. Save your energy." You coughed slightly in response before looking into Lin's jade eyes.

"I love you, Lin. I really do. And I'll miss you so much." Lin's tears fell, dropping onto your face. You shakily raised a hand to brushed her tears from her cheeks.

"Don't cry, my love."

"But you're dying!"

"Lin, say you love me. Just... this once. Don't be so stubborn." She shook her head, signaling that she didn't want to say goodbye. Or maybe she was just avoiding looking at you. Your vision was fading so you couldn't really tell.

"Don't leave me, please." the woman cried out.

"I won't... be leaving. I'll always be here." You said and pointed to her heart, "Just please tell me you love me too. This last time..." Lin grabbed your face in her hands, brushing her thumb against your cheek.

"I do. I love you too. And I'll miss you so much." You smiled, finally letting your eyes close. Lin cradled your head as you took your final breath.

She placed a kiss on your now cold lips before whispering, "Go to sleep darling. Wait for me on the other side."