sixteen

▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪   ▪

    You'll have to trust me on this one.

    His voice rang in Nataliya's mind as a distant echo. How is she supposed to interpret that? She shouldn't trust him, she shouldn't even listen to him or help him but that night after she left the war room something felt different than it did before. During their little talk, Nataliya remembered how it used to be and she couldn't stop the memories from flowing in. The problem of it all was that they were good memories, none of them bad and she didn't know how to feel. She knew him well enough to differentiate when he's lying and when he's not.

    Most of the times that is, and for once that night in the war room she saw him, the real him. The time when he showed how vulnerable he is and that he doesn't have everything figured out. The fact that he mentioned the rings and didn't try to seduce her with the memories or anger her for even keeping them surprised her nonetheless. And on top of all that almost kiss at the end. If he was playing with her he would have kissed her because by now both of them figured that that was the best form of manipulation. Sex seduction. Yet leaving the room in the middle of the night, Nataliya felt empty and yearned for more just because it never happened. It was never enough.

    Nataliya ran her hands through her unruly red curls in frustration. Some time has passed since that night but she couldn't forget it. The whole Little and Grand Palace were in preparation for the Winter Fete which was to happen the next day. Nataliya couldn't say she really enjoyed the time there, it was only ever good for the food. She couldn't participate in any demonstration because that was part of the Summoners job. Even though it was a party for the King and Queen, most Heartrenders were constantly watching what was going on in case anyone tried to assassinate any of the generals or even the royal family themselves.

    There is no better place or time to do that than when everyone is full of food and drunk on champagne. Not that Nataliya got any ideas.

    She stood up from the chair in front of her vanity and crossed the room to the wardrobe, where hung her special occasion kefta. The one she will wear the next day for the Fete. Each year it was a bit different, a bit more detailed and even more beautiful every time Nataliya saw what she was supposed to wear. The long red skirt was heavy with black embroidery and she couldn't be happier with what they created. At least she will look good on the dreadful night.

    When she released the soft fabric from her hands she felt an unsettling feeling appearing in the pit of her stomach. The reason for that was her recalling her last conversation with Baghra the time when she decided she wanted to know just which Grisha Baghra has on her side.

    ''Each only answers back to me, no one knows who all is included.''

    ''I understand that avoids the risk of spreading this but there's a hole in the plan. Your Grisha don't know who to trust if anything happens.'' Nataliya argued.