Prologue

In the beginning of the Realm of the Fae was ruled by four elementals. These elementals were females, each gifted with an element that created the realm; water, earth, wind, and fire. Water was the High Elemental, ruling with calm and peace but when provoked, she acted with fierce intensity. Water ruled over the land with her three friends. 

Each elemental ruled certain aspects but conferred to Water if someone needed advice or wisdom to guide their way. Wind carried messages around the realm, telling Water about the thoughts of the fae. Wind liked to play jokes and cause mischief but was steadfast and loyal when called upon. Wind controlled the emotions of the realm. 

Earth was quiet, she was the studious one, doing the bookwork and analyzing for the realm. Earth made sure everyone had food, water, and other essentials. Fire was fierce and sometimes uncontrollable, Water kept Fire in check. Fire made sure the realm was protected from those who would do it harm. She made sure fights and battles ended, controlled the realms temperature, and provided strength to those in need. Together the realm prospered under them, centuries passed, new elementals took over, chosen by their predecessors and the land. Each elemental had an amulet, a familiar, a birthing stone, and a mark that appeared on their bodies—that told which element they were.

These four elementals created magic; they gave the magic to the fae. Millenniums passed and this was their way, but like every way of life, it was up rooted. War raged from outside forces, seeking the elementals and magic for themselves. The fae won the war, but the ruling elementals died. Many fae were killed—including the ruling elementals—leaving no one to rule. The way of the Fae is that only women could rule, and only those with the elemental symbols. 

With Water's last breath she gave a prophecy, one day four girls would be born, they will be elementals; they will bring the realm into harmony and balance again. She gave the ruling seat to her son, with orders to safeguard the throne and knowledge. Water also told him, one from his line would marry the water elemental and help to unite the realm again, but she also warned him. Warned him that the realm would fall into darkness, war, destruction would reign, corruption will take over until the four are born and take their place. 

Their journey was foretold, it would not be easy, and the outcome uncertain. As Water proclaimed, the realm fell into destruction and Water's son ruled with an iron fist. He put the knowledge his mother gave him into a sacred book, locking it away and putting a spell on it that only the four could find it. Then he kept the knowledge to his family, passing it down through the generations. However, eventually that too, was lost to time.