no promises x panic

Start from the beginning

"It was a game the graduated seniors would play throughout the summer," she explains. "There'd be challenges that earned them points and by the end of the summer, whoever had the most points would get the pot of money they collected throughout the school year. They called it Panic."

"You're joking, right?" Stevie asks. "That doesn't sound real, Isla."

She shrugs. "I don't know. It could all be bullshit, but if it's teal, it all started at the swimming hole. It was the first challenge each year as a way to show what graduates were partaking. Everything was very hush hush, too. No one knew when the next challenge would start and the judges would announce them through hidden hints around town. You miss the hint and you're out."

"That sounds fun," Jonas says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Of course, you'd think that." Greyson laughs, his chest vibrating against my back. "You're a daredevil."

I roll my eyes. "Did you figure out what's wrong with your car?"

"Yeah," Felix says, stepping away from Stevie. "I need to grab some coolant."

"I'll come with you," Jonas says. "I think we saw a hardware store on our way in. We could probably walk that way and grab it while the rest of you explore."

"We should try to find the swimming hole," Isla suggests with a big grin.

"And why would we do that?" I ask, hooking my arm through Greyson's as we move away from his car and down the sidewalk. "How about food first?"

"How about no?" Stevie asks with a grin as she skips ahead of us, spotting an older man stepping out from the bank on the main street. "Excuse me, sir," she says, stopping just in front of him. "Could you point us in the direction of the swimming hole?"

"Just follow this road down towards the farm," he says, pointing in the direction. "It'll be on your left hand side."

"Perfect. Thank you," she says before turning back to us. "Up for a little adventure?"

"I'm in," Greyson says next to me and my lips curl up as I reluctantly nod my head in agreement to go with them.

Isla is immediately in as we head back to the car, finding Felix and Jonas who are already back from the hardware store with a jug of coolant in hand. Jonas leans into the headlight as Felix pops the hood back open. "We know where the swimming hole is," Isla tells him and Jonas' lips turn up as he stand a little taller."

"Let me guess," I say as I look at him. "You want to take the jump, too?"

"I'm always up for a challenge." Jonas grins. "You of all people know this, Robyn."

I roll my eyes and peek over at Greyson who looks just as amused, if not more than Jonas at the idea of free falling to our deaths. "What is it with you people and wanting to jump off a cliff?" I ask, wrapping my arms around my waist for my own protection.

"It's only to our deaths if we miss the water," Felix says, not even looking at me as he pours the coolant in.

"Morbid," Isla says before grinning. "I like it."

Felix's grin matches her as he drops the hood and turns to the rest of us. "Shall we?"

Stevie moves to wrap her arm around his waist as the rest of us take a step back towards Greyson's car. He grabs the door handle for the passenger door and pull it open, letting me climb in before shutting it as he moves around the front to climb into the driver's seat. Felix pulls out first and we are quick to follow.

"You know, this is going to be fun." Isla leans forward, nudging Jonas' knee as she scoots in between the console. "I've always wanted to go cliff jumping."