Chapter 20: I Dream of You

Começar do início

"Well, lucky you, it's what I picked out."

I squealed in delight and ran off to go get changed.

Soon we were in the car, singing along to my favorite tape and playing I-spy to pass the time on the long road trip. As we finally approached the last part of our route, winding through the mountain pass, I began to nod off, my eyelids growing heavy with sleep. I was afraid to sleep because that is where I saw the scary dark monsters every night. I closed my eyes but could still hear my parents talking.

"Is she finally sleeping?" My dad asked.

"I think so, she was up all night, I swear she is a vampire this child."

"Ugh, don't joke about that."

"BILL LOOKOUT!"

My eyes flew open at my mother's screams. There was a sharp jerk and a sudden drop, like when I would swing on the playset at school. My parents both cried out and I could feel their fear, it overwhelmed me. The car bounced and rolled and I felt a sharp stabbing pain on the top of my head. I squeezed my eyes shut in terror and only opened them once the car had stopped moving. We were now laying on our side, my hair falling across my face. I heard both of my parents groan, there was the soft sound of glass falling as they attempted to move.

"Ann, are you okay?"

My mother just groaned in response. My father turned as far as he could to look back at me, his face was cut and he was dirty. I began to sob, my head throbbing in pain. I could feel the warm drip of blood sliding down my face, I reached up to touch it.

"Daddy I got an ouchie," I cried out. "It hurts."

"I know baby, Daddy will be right there I promise," he said, attempting to smile.

"O-okay," I sniffled. My hands reached out to try and touch my head again and my dad shouted loudly.

"Don't touch it, Diana! Daddy will fix it, you have to wait."

I was crying now, scared by my father's harsh tone. He tried to comfort me as he fiddled with his seatbelt. He finally got it off and was about to inspect his wife's condition when there was a loud crunching noise.

"What the...?"

The door on my mother's side flew off and an impossibly large inky black claw reached in engulfing her body and yanking her from her seat. There was a sickening crack of what I was sure was my mother's spine and a splash of blood that rained down on my father's astonished face.

"ANN!" he screamed, reaching out for her in desperation. My cries turned to wails and I kicked weakly in my car seat. The dark claw returned scooping up my father this time, his face was pure terror as it was engulfed by the darkness.

"Daddy!" I wailed.

I heard him scream one more time before there was a sickening crunching noise, like when a dog chewed on a bone, and then nothing.

"My queen," a voice growled, I couldn't understand its words but I could feel its joy and also its hatred. The monster returned, squeezing itself in through the hole it had ripped open. I could see its bright silver eyes, rows of sharp teeth, and pitch-black body. This was one of the monsters in my nightmare.

"GO AWAY," I hollered. "MOMMY, DADDY!"

"Give us a taste," he grumbled, oozing closer towards me, his mouth opening wide. There was a shout and the monster turned to look outside at its source. He slithered out the door hissing as he went. I was left alone, sobbing deeply, hiccuping as I tried to catch my breath. All of a sudden there was a bright flash of light and I had to squeeze my eyes shut in response. The feelings were gone, no more hatred, just silence.