I. Prince Charming

"Father, I told you. I don't want you and mom to be there."

Beomgyu's mother refused the throne years ago. So his grandmother was the queen, and soon, he would have to become the monarch. Otherwise their kingdom would be handed over to a horrible king.

"Why not?"

"You know how I feel about you interfering with royal stuff. It's because of you and mom that I have to get married in the first place."

His dad sighed and helped him tie his tie. "Nobody said you had to get married."

"Yes, I do have to. Otherwise, who knows what's gonna happen when grandma's gone? I know you don't care, but I need to fix your mistake now."

He pulled it too tight and Beomgyu gasped. "Your limo's here, Your Highness."

Beomgyu rolled his eyes and walked out of his parents' house before getting into the white limo parked outside. His mom didn't accept the title of princess so that way she could raise him as a normal child.

But as soon as he found out his grandmother was the queen, he accepted the title of prince. He felt like it was important. When the queen dies or retires, he'll have to take over.

And if he doesn't get married, he'll have to give up the throne and his kingdom to a cruel man and his wife who, although isn't as mean as him, is kept from making good decisions due to the patriarchy.

The man was the king of Dawnstar, and she was the queen. So he was more eligible for the throne than Beomgyu at the moment.

But Beomgyu hoped to change that tonight at a ball. He wanted to meet someone. He didn't care who.

Just... someone.

The man was cruel, arrogant, and hot-tempered.

Once they arrived at the palace, Beomgyu walked in and linked arms with his grandma. He was wearing a black and red suit with white gloves, diamond earrings dangling from his ears and a golden crown on his head.

As soon as they walked out onto the balcony, everyone in the crowd started screaming.

It was prince charming after all.

Beomgyu started dancing with people, talking a little bit to them until he came across a girl, who he knew to be the princess of Dawnstar.

The younger sister of that man.

"Princess Karliah of Dawnstar," she said, bowing.

He smiled lightly and bowed too.

"Prince Beomgyu of Solitutde." He smiled again and started dancing with her.

"So... how old are you, Beomgyu of Solitude?"

"Twenty. You?"

"Twenty-two. You seem a little young too become king, you know."

"And you seem too young to become queen."

She scoffed and shook her head. "I don't wanna marry you. I'm here out of respect. And... my brother forced me to come."

"I thought he wanted to take the throne from me."

She shrugged. "I don't know. When's the deadline again?"

"December 31st. So I have to get married in two months."

Beomgyu looked around. All these royal people dancing, and he didn't feel connected to any of them. Being surrounded by them made him almost feel alone.

"You don't wanna get married," Karliah said, and he looked back down at her. "You just wanna protect your kingdom. And you're willing to sacrifice your happiness to do that?"