Ch. 4 // POA

It took Harry several days to get used to his strange new freedom.
Though it annoyed Clara, she was very patient. She knew that Harry wasn't able to get up whenever he wanted and eat whatever he fancied or go wherever he wanted....though they had to stay in Diagonal Alley.

Clara and Harry ate breakfast each morning in the Leaky Cauldron and after, they would go out into the backyard, tap the third brick from the left above the trash bit with their wands, and stand back as the archway into Diagon Alley opened in the wall.

Clara and Harry spent the long sunny days exploring the shops and eating under the brightly colored umbrellas outside cafes. They visited Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor nearly every afternoon.
Clara was very close with Florean. When she was younger, Severus would bring her to the parlor almost every weekend (if she behaved that week). Clara also knew Florean knew a great deal about medieval witch burnings, so he would be able to help Harry out with his essay. The two also received free sundaes every half an hour.

Shopping was an activity that Clara didn't think Harry would have enjoyed. She had to keep reminding him that he had five years to go at Hogwarts.
But the thing that tested Harry's resolution most appeared in his favorite shop, Quality Quidditch Supplies, a week after he and Clara arrived at the Leaky Cauldron.
Curious to know what the crowd in the shop was staring at, Harry edged his way inside and squeezed in among the excited witches and wizards until they glimpsed a newly erected podium, Clara followed. On the podium was mounted the most magnificent broom they had ever seen in their lives.

"Just come out  —  prototype  — " a square-jawed wizard was telling his companion.
"It's the fastest broom in the world, isn't it, Dad?" squeaked a boy younger than Harry, who was swinging off his father's arm.

"Irish International Side's Just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" the proprietor of the shop told the crowd.
"And they're favorites for the World Cup!"

A large witch in front of Harry moved, and he and Clara were able to read the sign next to the broom:

** THE FIREBOLT **

THIS STATE-OF-THE-ART PACING BROOM SPORTS A STREAM-LINED, SUPERFINE HANDLE OF ASH, TREATED WITH A DIAMOND-HARD POLISH AND HAND- NUMBERED WITH ITS OWN REGISTRATION NUMBER.
EACH INDIVIDUALLY SELECTED BIRCH TWIG IN THE BROOMTAIL HAS BEEN HONED TO AERODYNAMIC PERFECTION, GIVING THE FIREBOLT UNSURPASSABLE BALANCE AND PINPOINT PRECISION.
THE FIREBOLT HAS AN ACCELERATION OF 150 MILES AN HOUR IN TEN SECONDS AND INCORPORATES AN UNBREAKABLE BRAKING CHARM.
PRICE ON REQUEST.

"Just look at it, Clara," Harry said in awe. "I've never wanted anything more in my whole life."

Clara hummed. "How does it feel to want?"

Harry sighed. "Terrible, but nice at the same time."

"Harry, you pass the Firebolt everyday, gawking. You've never lost a match in your Nimbus Two Thousand, so what's the point in emptying your vault when you already have a broom?"

"Yeah, you're right. Besides, we came here to buy what we need."

The two went to the Apothecary to replenish their store of potions ingredients. Then they visited Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and bought new robes, seeing as both of their robes was too short. Most important of all, they had to buy new schoolbooks.

Instead of the usual display of gold- embossed spellbooks the size of paving slabs outside the book shop, there was a large iron cage behind the glass that held about a hundred copies of The Monster Book of Monsters.
Torn pages were flying everywhere as the books grappled with each other, locked together in furious wrestling matches and snapping aggressively.