Chapter 2

Clone Force 99 welcomes you with open arms - in the metaphorical sense because you can tell they're not really the touchy-feely type.

Except for Wrecker. He's the one who constantly carries you back to your small space, gently placing you on your bed so you don't fall asleep under the command center's console again.

You find yourself spending a bit more time with Tech, reviewing data together when he's around. The computer expert is quiet but thoughtful - he appreciates the eye you have for detail, especially when reviewing enemy console stations.

"I'm always impressed with your entry time for systems!" you smile, clipping a holovid and saving it to the datapad. "Do you think I need anything else for this meeting? I saved the ones I discussed with Hunter, and I've got the multiple points of view from everyone's HUDs..."

"I think you pulled everything we had concerns about," he notes, looking at the filenames on the datapad you're showing him.

You bounce on your toes, nodding. "Thank you, Tech!"

"No need to thank me," he replies, "you're good at your job."

A smile creeps over your features; that's high praise, you've learned, and it makes you warm all over. "See you later!"

Tech shakes his head as you skip out towards your meeting, turning off the center console before heading back to the racks.

You're excited - it'll be the first time since you've started your assignment that you're included in the larger command meeting. It's here you'll be able to present all of the findings you've been working on for weeks, and it makes you proud to show off what Clone Force 99 can do.

You stop yourself outside the door to the meeting space and take a breath. It's meant to help calm you, as your heart is racing out of nerves and excitement, but what you hear next makes your stomach turn.

"I can't believe that intelligence officer was included in the meeting. Why was she brought here again?"

"She's weird, let me tell you. Almost weirder than that Commando group. I can't tell you how many times I've seen her up at ungodly hours, processing HUD footage. Is it really that important to her?"

"Maybe she's worried about her job. She can't be good at anything else if she's landed here managing holovids."

You swallow the lump in your throat and key into the room, trying to not let the words get to you. The door slides open, causing the two commanders who were talking to fall silent.

"Uh, h-hi," you stammer, quickly introducing yourself. You're not the last to arrive for the meeting, a communications officer scrambling in right before the meeting is scheduled to start. "I have the footage I prepared if you want me to set it up..."

No one seems to engage with you, as they're busy discussing the plan for the airfield going forward. You drop your gaze, fiddling with the datapad as someone brushes by you roughly.

"I wasn't aware we brought Academy cadets here," the sergeant muttered under their breath, shaking their head in disgust.

You open your mouth to counter their comment, but the General leading the meeting clears his throat. You tuck yourself into the corner, out of the gaze of the commanders who were talking about you earlier.

The General proceeds with the meeting, and you wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

It's not until the very end, when the floor is opened for any concerns, do you finally have a moment to speak. Your stomach churns - you were told you'd have an official slot within the meeting, so you raise your hand and -

"Yes, Officer?"

"I - I have the footage I was asked to prepare," you say, gesturing to the datapad. You try and put on your confident persona, but it's hard with the way that everyone is staring into your soul.

"Just leave the datapad, I'm sure it's fine," the General shrugs.

"But sir, I - I think it would be beneficial if I explain what's happening, I was discussing with -" you object, brows knit together. Were they just going to ignore all of the work you'd done for this meeting?

"That's enough, officer. I'm sure your holovid footage is self-explanatory. You are all dismissed." The General waves everyone off before exiting the room.

"You'd have to be a moron to need holos explained to you," the Commander next to you spits, grabbing the datapad from your hands. "Next time, just deliver the datapad and leave. You're not wanted here."

"I was just doing my job..." you mumble, glancing away. The lump in your throat is back and you rock on your heels as everyone passes you, whispering behind their hands.

This wasn't supposed to happen here. You were wanted, you were welcomed. But clearly, you were reading the room wrong.

It takes everything in you not to cry on your walk back to your quarters. You feel like you've been punched in the gut, your hard work tossed aside, unimportant.

Hunter, down in the hangar, can feel something's wrong.

You shuffle back to the hallway, chewing on the inside of your cheek to keep the tears away. Your excitement is gone, and you want nothing more than to curl up under the threadbare blankets on your bed and cry.

Tech and Crosshair are waiting outside your door for you when you turn the corner, the sniper leaning against the wall.

"How'd the meeting go?" Tech asks, not realizing that's the crack that breaks the dam. It's only after he asks does he see your face fall.

"I didn't get to say anything," you say quietly, stopping in front of the keypad for your door.

"What?"

"I'm not wanted here," you mutter, angrily punching in the passcode, the door sliding open. You push yourself through the door, tears threatening to spill - Crosshairs and Tech follow.

"What happened in that meeting," Crosshair hisses, rolling his toothpick between his teeth.

You stop in front of your bed and your shoulders shake - exhaustion is finally settling in alongside the pit in your stomach and you sit on your bed with a soft thump. "I was just doing my job," you whimper, tears finally spilling down your cheeks.

"Tell us what happened," Tech says softly, pulling your desk chair to the side of your bed. Crosshair leans against the wall, arms across his chest as he listens carefully.

"I - I heard some Commanders talking about me before the meeting started, and after too," you cry softly, head in your hands as you try to hide your shame from the clones. "It's just like the academy all over again."

Tech puts a hesitant hand on your knee, trying to watch your face. This is wrong, he thinks, and he's sure the sniper behind him agrees.

"I thought it wouldn't happen here," you mumble, wiping at tears though they continue to fall.

"It won't," Crosshair spits out, upper lip curling in disgust. "I was hoping there wouldn't be any imbeciles in command here, but it seems I've been proven wrong."

The temperature in the room almost drops - his words cause your skin to crawl slightly, but it's not enough to distract you from the thoughts gnawing at the back of your mind.

"I am so sorry," Tech says, shaking his head. "People can be so rude. In fact, it's usually a hint towards their own self-worth."

You nod, finally lifting your head. The image of tears streaming down your usually cheery face is burned into their memories, and Crosshair feels his blood boil.

How could someone treat you that way?