Love, Ever After

Louis is a lover of love, in all its forms; between friends, in families, partners, and soulmates, scarce as they may be. Love creates a rich tapestry and blankets those who are fortunate enough to experience it with a warmth and security that encompasses the goodness and purpose of life. It makes people want to risk it all, to reach for the stars, to take a leap of faith for the greatest reward.

He'd always been a bit of a matchmaker, seeing in others what they didn't see in themselves, so making it his full-time career made perfect sense. He was fascinated by how two people could come together and complement each other, balancing out likes and interests, and building a core foundation of shared goals, desires, and morals.

If only he could've been so insightful and open when it came to his own love life.

He's had relationships, of course. When he was younger, he'd been so hopeful and eager and sure his soulmate would fall into his lap if he just put himself out there. As a male omega, finding his alpha soulmate was certainly possible, rare as it might be, and he'd always felt bad for betas who would never get that chance. But Louis just always thought he'd be one of the lucky ones. He used to dream about it, about how he'd be swept off his feet and taken over by his inner omegas connection to the perfect alpha. His alpha.

As the years have passed, however, his hope has waned, and at thirty-two he's all but given up on finding his soulmate. Not that he would ever admit that out loud, of course, and the office he's about to walk into may have something to do with that.

His morning coffee is warm in his hand and the pastry tucked into his shoulder bag is sweetly calling his name as the silver and black striped awning of Love, Ever After comes into view. The frontage sits proudly on the corner of Wickham and Grove Streets, overlooking the village green with its duck pond and fairy-lit rotunda. When Louis and his business partner Liam had been searching for the perfect location for their franchise, the old toffee store had been an easy choice.

They'd been excited to get up and running, and over the last three years they've helped countless singles find their matches; alphas, omegas, and betas alike, and even one alpha-omega soulmate pair which they're incredibly proud of. Liam looks after the technical side of things, analyzing the information the clients provide and managing the database and accounts, while Louis focuses on marketing and client management. They make a great team, along with their office administrator, Bev, and client liaison Tash, and Louis truly loves coming to work every day. But aside from his colleagues, it's working with the clients that he really lives for. Even if he can't find his own match, he can at least live vicariously through their journeys to love.

The chime goes off as he steps over the threshold and into the front office. Tash looks up from the reception desk, tapping the side of her headset to let him know she's on the phone. He nods her a good morning with a smile and heads down the corridor, past the interview rooms and through to the open-plan office area at the back. The sun is beaming in through the glass atrium to one side, as the wall of water cascades over the tiled backdrop and into the pond below. Two sparrows wash themselves and soak up the morning light, fluffing their feathers and tittering away at each other.

Louis drops his bag at his desk and wanders into the kitchen to grab a plate for his pastry, Liam and Bev are already there, hovering over the kettle.

"Morning, morning," Louis sing-songs in greeting and they turn in unison.

"Morning, Lou," they reply.

Louis grabs a plate from the cupboard. "How are we on this fine, Friday morning? Ready to help our wonderful clients find love?"

"Always," Liam says with a nod and smile. "Got three new clients today, actually."

The business is doing well, going from strength to strength and exceeding the projections every quarter. They've built themselves a good reputation and people come from across the region to avail themselves of their services. Their match rate is one of the best in the country, and their clients seem to really respond to the village atmosphere and personal touch they always strive to deliver.