Chapter One, Trick or Treating with Daddy

Start from the beginning

"Thanks for that Dean. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, it's just a shame Fredrick's brother had to do that. I suppose jealousy makes a person do crazy, stupid things." Charles stated, grabbing a beer out of the fridge for him and Dean, a juice for Amélie and an iced tea for his lovely wife.
"I suppose it does." Dean agreed, accepting the beer from Charles. "Cheers. Baby, why don't you go do some colouring before we have dinner." Dean suggested, crouching down to place Amélie on her feet.
"Otay Daddy." Amélie said, as she skipped over to the kids table where her colouring was all set up.
"What's wrong?" Claudette asked, hearing Dean let out a weary sigh as she started on meatballs and spaghetti for dinner. 
"My Dad is missing and he left me this..." Dean said, playing the voicemail on speaker so his would-be parents-in-law could hear.

"There's EVP on that." Charles stated, once the message finished.
"I heard it too." Dean agreed.
"I think I've got a gold wave in my office, one moment." He said, taking Dean's phone and heading to his office down the hall.
"I know you're going to go find your father and probably get your brother to help you. I don't blame you Dean, if my father was in trouble I'd do the same; as would Charles. And I know if I or Charles had been in trouble you and Simone would have looked for us." Claudette said, smiling sadly.
"I don't know what to do. I don't want Amélie to grow up how I did and I won't let it happen... but I don't know what to do about my Dad after all he's done... I don't know how to feel." Dean sighed wearily, running a hand down his face.

"He's your father, no matter what he's done I know that will nag in your mind if you didn't at least try. You value family more highly than I've ever seen in a person. And we would never take her away from you, Dean. We know how much you love her and it was my daughter's dying wish. I know you'll do right by them both." Claudette assured, resting a comforting hand over the top of Dean's.
"Thank you." Dean said gratefully, his voice tight. He missed Simone so much but he had a part of her in their daughter. Looking over his shoulder at her, Dean couldn't help but smile at the look of concentration on her cute little face, her tongue just poking out at the corner of her lips. "I'll get her to call you both every day and we'll be back for the holidays and birthdays."

"Good." Charles said, walking back into the kitchen with Dean's phone and a recorder. "Make sure you look after that precious little girl, Dean, she's all I have left of my beautiful daughter." Charles said sternly, a hard look in his eyes before he softened once Dean promised and stated the obvious that he was never going to break the promise he'd made to Simone, if he could help it. "I'll keep the house ready for you, don't worry and you're always welcome here. If you need help, call."
"We'll also make you a ton of amulets and protection sachets to add to the ones Simone made, and the ones we've already made you." Claudette stated, setting the timer for dinner after adding the meatballs to the pasta and sauce and setting it to simmer.

"If you need to leave her in the hotel room if there's an emergency and she's not in nursery they'll protect her. Just set them at each point around her, like each setting on a compass and in front of the door and on the window sills behind the salt line, if the salt lines break then they'll stop anything getting into the room and near Amélie."
"Thank you, you've done so much for me." Dean said gratefully, his green eyes bright.
"You're family, son." Charles said, smiling at him. "Listen to this." He said, playing the recording.

"'I can never go home.'" A woman's eerie voice came through the speaker before it broke up once again.
"What does that mean?" Claudette asked.
"Dad was hunting this ghost in Jericho. Men have been disappearing along the same stretch of road for the last twenty years." Dean explained with a frown.
"Daddy! I made you a picwtue." Amélie cried, running over to them waving the picture around.
"You did?" Dean asked in exaggerated awe, picking Amélie up and placing her on his lap so he could hug her and see the picture.