"Silence..."

"You're awfully quiet. Is something wrong?" Jasper asked as he shifted gears. He was driving Nana's car as I sat pensive looking at the landscape we passed.

"Just, tired. I guess." I lied.

"What you did back there was really nice."

"Which would not have happened if not for you. It was all you. I just came up with the idea Jasper."

"Let's just say we should take equal credit for its success. And, reluctantly I might add, with a little help from Jarrod." He looked to the rearview mirror to check on Jarrod who followed us in Jasper's pick up. 

"Yes. Jarrod." I whispered.

"Okay. Now you're scaring me! Out with it. What's wrong Jade?" His brows came together to give me a scowl.

"Are you... can we... do you. Argh! Jarrod told me he has feelings for me." I blurted out.

"And?" He asked.

"And what?"

"What did you tell him?"

"Nothing. I couldn't give him an answer other than silence."

"I thought you said he's handsome? Meaning you're attracted to him physically." He pointed out.

"Looks isn't everything."

"So you have someone else in mind. Someone whom you have set your eyes on?" He smiled.

"I don't know." Again I looked away.

"Does this other person know how you feel about him?"

"How do you know it's not a girl!"

"Your Nana told me that she had a gay grandchild. Since you're her only grandchild, I would assume she was pertaining to you?"

"Good job Sherlock." I mumbled, still keeping my gaze averted.

"So, does he?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I'm not sure if he has feelings for me. What if he likes nurse Pat... I mean what if he likes female nurses? Or smart politicians? Or even boring accountants! I might not be what he looks for in someone to have a relationship with." I sighed.

"Well, you'll never know unless you ask him. Who knows, maybe he's just as scared to tell you that he wants you too."

"I'd rather not. He's way out of my league."

"And Jarrod isn't?"

"Well Jarrod's a normal guy. Someone you can just be yourself and not think you'd damage their reputation by being associated with you."

"This person that you want, is his status that fragile?"

"No. Well, I don't know. He doesn't speak to me about his past. He's not the type who easily opens up and shares his life story, you know.

"All I know is that he's a doc... a dog gone achiever, an athlete, an intellectual. Aside from that, he's kind, easy to get along with, funny, charming, and... oh so handsome." I trailed off.

"Hmmm. Sounds like a catch."

"Yes. You are. Right! I mean you are right!" I corrected myself.

"Tell me something Jade. Do you have feelings for my brother?"

"No. I don't. I like him as a friend, and I enjoy his company. But, no." I sighed.

"Isn't he as good as the guy you want to be with."

"I'm not going to settle, Jasper. It wouldn't be fair to Jarrod. Or to myself."

"Then tell him. Be honest. Let him down gently. You can't force yourself to love someone you don't." He sighed as he slowed down to park the car in front of Nana's driveway.

"Would you mind terribly if I stayed out here with Jarrod for a bit? I don't want to keep him guessing. I'd rather tell him now, to spare him any prolonged agony."

"Not at all. I'll be inside. Come find me when you're done. I'll be waiting."

"Thanks. And Jasper?"

He turned to look at me halfway up the steps that lead to the front door of Nana's house, his brows lifted in a puzzled look.

"I lied. You're way more handsome than he is."