Chapter Nine

-----> Travis. Yummy. 

            Sleep was my enemy last night. No matter how hard I tried and willed myself to just get some rest I couldn’t do it. My mind wouldn’t shut off. Images of Seth lying on the floor, the bruises all over his body, and just thinking about everything that he has been through had me up all night. How can one man be so cruel to his own son? I honestly wish it wasn’t so. No one deserves to be treated like that, especially Seth. No matter how angry I am with him what happened to him will never be okay under no circumstances. Just remembering his bruises make me regret not beating the hell out of that man some more.

            We have school today. I don’t know if he’s awake or if he’s even going but I might as well get ready. I took a cold shower to wake my body up. Warm water would just relax me and make me want to get back in bed. I got out the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist and went to make breakfast. He never told me what he liked to have for breakfast so I didn’t know what to make. I just made some eggs, bacon, and hash brown. I placed the food on the island and went to get dress.

            I looked down the hall where Seth’s room was, noticing the bedroom door was closed and the bathroom door was wide open. “Seth?” I called when I reached his room door. He didn’t answer so I knocked, still no answer. I turned the knob and opened the door to see him curled up in a ball, fast asleep. He needs this rest, he’s been through a lot and that must have drained a lot of his energy. Realizing this, I closed the door as quietly as I could and tiptoed to my room where I put on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I don’t’ want to leave him here by himself just incase he gets scared or needs someone to talk to.

            Sighing, I sat by the island and slowly began eating. Shortly after I remembered about emailing my parents and went for my laptop. I emailed my mom; not leaving out a single detailed and prepared myself for the blow. She won’t like this at all. I made sure to tell her I had no idea he was here or anything like that. Hopefully she believes me. It’s about 9 P.M. in China right now so if they’re not sleeping I should be getting a call in five minutes tops.

            Nervously, I peeked at the phone that was vibrating to check the caller ID. Mom. Snatching the phone up, I walked out the condo and into the hallway.

            “Hi mom,” I answered innocently.

            “Travis! Is he all right? Does he need to go to the hospital?” Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What the fuck! I don’t think I’ve been more shock in my life. Here I am, panicking the hell out about my mom and that’s she’s really going to rip my dick off once she finds out about this. No, the most amazing woman in the world is concerned about Seth.

            “H-he he’s fine—sleeping.” I stammered. Her concern really caught me off guard.

            “Oh my goodness, that’s horrible. How can a father do that to his own child? Doesn’t he have any relatives—aunts, uncles, cousins, older siblings?”

            “He has a brother but he’s in the military. He won’t tell me about his mom and every time I ask he gets emotional so I don’t even want to add more to what he’s going through right now.”

            She sighed. It was quiet between us for a while then she asked, “How are you doing?”

            My back hit the wall hearing that question. It was as if all the strength I had evaporated from me and I slid down to the ground. “I don’t know. I’m so confused I don’t even want to think anymore”

            “Why didn’t you tell me he was there? You had to go through that all by yourself. I know seeing him mustn’t have been easy for you”