ch 15: nate

We had a substitute teacher that day in U

We had a substitute teacher that day in U.S. History, so we were going to get to watch a movie, and as we sat at our table waiting for class to start, Sunny sucked in a nervous breath, holding it for a second before I finally asked.

"What's up, Flower?"

"I'm nervous about tonight, Nate."

As the late bell rang and our substitute finally walked in, I looked over at Sunny, chuck with curiosity. She had a weird look on her face that I'd never seen, but was interested in deciphering.

"Tonight's the night Tris and I finally tell my Dad that Tristan's my... that he's my--"

Even now, when she was driving me absolutely crazy, it hurt me more than anything to know she was only like this because of my brother.

After rolling my eyes and faintly shaking my head, I sat back in my seat, and shrugged, causing Sunny to sit back as well, scooting her chair a little closer to mine behind our table as she began whispering.

"He's your what?!"

I whisper-yelled so loud that it caught everyone's attention, including Mr. Krandle, the sub.

"Hey, keep it down, back there kids..."

Sunny sunk into her seat and the embarrassment on her face was quickly masked defensively, her walls up miles high as she shrugged, making me roll my eyes once again in pure frustration.

"So, he's your boyfriend?"

She bit her lip and shook her head, making sure to keep her voice low.

"No... not exactly."

"What does that mean?"

"Quiet, back there!!"

We both shot a look towards the front of the class where Mr. Krandle was now glaring towards the back corner where we were.

A few seconds went by, and all attention was back on the movie playing on the projector, aside from mine. My attention was still on Sunny, trying to figure out what exactly was happening tonight.

Once we were in the clear she leaned over again, her breath dangerously close to the shell of my ear.

"So... he hadn't exactly asked me to be his girlfriend, and--"

"Typical."

The sarcastic laugh, eye roll, and head shake all caused Sunny to cock her own head back while confusion playing on her face.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I sighed, completely over hearing Sunny swoon over Tristan; I was ready to finally speak my mind.

"All he's gonna do is hurt you."

"Nate, he--"

"He's an asshole."

"He's your brother!"

"Exactly! Flower, don't you think I'd be the one person who knows?"

The bell rang a moment later, signaling that class was finally over.

I gathered my things and as I began to rush out of the room, I heard Sunny yelling behind me.

"You're wrong, O'Connell."

🖤

𝔻𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕘𝕦𝕪𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 ℕ𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕋𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕙𝕦𝕣𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕊𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕪 𝕠𝕣 𝕕𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕙𝕖'𝕤 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕛𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕤?