14 | I Miss You, Mum

Start from the beginning

"Cormac, can I talk to you for a sec?"

Scorpius froze, hearing Granger's unmistakable voice, and immediately hid behind an alcove. He scowled at himself, questioning why he suddenly had the urge to hide. He didn't have enough time to dwell on his weird actions, and instead peeked at the two Gryffindors.

"Hermione," the seventh year wizard drawled. "I have all the time in the world."

Scorpius made a face and almost guffawed at the disgust on Hermione's face. He wondered if McLaggen was able to see the expression on her face, or chose to ignore it.

"Err... all right," she continued. Conflicting emotions danced through her face, before she took a deep breath and continued, "Have you thought of going to Professor Slughorn's Christmas Party?"

'Oh, fuck no, Granger,' the Slytherin sneered, noting how Cormac's face lit up like Christmas came early. Before he could register what he was doing, he pushed himself off the alcove he was hiding and strode towards the two students. Hermione saw him first, as her eyes widened in surprise.

"Malfoy," she greeted, her voice a tad shrill and panicked.

"Gods, Granger, where the hell were you?" he snarled. "Davies called for a meeting."

She grew confused. "Meeting?" she asked. "What—" Her eyes widened at his pointed glance. "Meeting. Right... yes, yes."

A frustrated look grew on McLaggen's face and he latched onto Hermione's wrist. "We aren't done talking," he protested. "And if you must know, I do plan on going to Slughorn's Christmas Party, Hermione."

The buffoon looked stupidly hopeful, Scorpius almost felt sorry for him. "Granger, really, I have no time for your dawdling," he snapped.

"Fuck off, Malfoy," Cormac thundered.

Hermione hastily pulled her wrist away from Cormac and scampered closer to Scorpius. "Sorry, Cormac, but duty calls," she said.

She didn't wait for the older wizard's answer as she quickly latched onto Scorpius' wrist and dragged him away from Cormac. She pulled him quickly until they were inside the Hogwart's library. Madame Pince sent them off a curious glance, but Hermione paid her no mind.

She only stopped when they reached her table – well, their table, seeing that Scorpius frequented this, too, - and gratefully looked at the Slytherin. "Merlin, Malfoy, you have no idea how thankful I am for your intervention."

Scorpius snorted and placed his book bag on the table. "McLaggen? Really?" he asked. "I'm starting to think you have a bad taste on men, Granger."

She furiously blushed and plopped down on the seat opposite her. "I didn't know what came into me," she said, refusing to meet his eyes.

"Let me guess - Weasley's a bloody wanker so you wanted to invite someone else to make him jealous," he answered. When her cheeks inflamed, confirming his suspicions, Scorpius sighed. "Ding ding ding, ten points to Slytherin."

"Shut up, Malfoy."

Scorpius leaned forward and waited until Hermione looked into his eyes. "Weasley's a bloody wanker," he reiterated. "And McLaggen isn't too far behind from him. I don't know what has gotten into you for even considering that stupid Gryffindor."

"Ugh, I know," she snapped. "It was a momentary lapse of judgment."

"Tell you what, Granger," he said, casually leaning back on his chair. "Why don't you take me to the Christmas Party instead?"

Hermione gaped and Scorpius was tempted to copy her expression. 'Where the hell did that come from?' Al-the-Inner-Voice exclaimed.

"W-what?" Hermione sputtered out. She knitted her eyebrows and frowned. "What are you playing at, Malfoy?"