Epilogue.

Meredith stood on the beach, her feet buried in the sand and the warm summer breeze blew through her loose curls. She smiled as she watched Derek running in the shallow part on the water, closely followed by their daughter. Charlotte was the spitting image of Sophie, the only different being she had blonde curls instead of the dark curls that Sophie use to have.

It had been over 5 years now since the day they had lost Sophie and it still hurt as much as it did that day. Meredith sat there and pictured what should have been a 10 year old Sophie, chasing after her sister and father.

"Mommy!" Meredith's thought were interrupted when she heard Charlotte shout out for her. She smiled and pushed herself to her feet and made her way towards her, smiling as Charlotte ran up to her and dove into Meredith's arms. Her head rested on her shoulder and Meredith brushed her curls behind her ears, breathing in her scent.

Derek moved out of the water and towards his two girls, wrapping his arms around Meredith's lower back and kissed the side of the head.

"Thank you for suggesting this, we definitely needed this break." Derek sighed as she pulled Meredith tighter into his side.

The past few months had been rough for them, with tensions building up as they spent more time at work and less time together. The arguments would start up and they would spit hateful words to one another and then falling into an uncomfortable silence. Only communicating when it came to things with Charlotte. Meredith knew they couldn't keep living like this and that's when she made the suggestion to get away came about.

Derek had been reluctant to say yes at first but he knew if they didn't do this then their marriage wouldn't have made it. The one thing he couldn't do is let this marriage fail, they had survived too much together and they need each other. The first few days had been tense but now here they stood in one another's arms. Back to how they should be.

"Just we can't get that bad again Derek." Her eyes diverted to Derek's. Meredith ran her hand up and down her back, smiling as she heard Charlotte's breathing even out and she fell asleep with her head resting on Meredith's shoulder.

"We won't, promise." He ran his thumb over her cheek. "This is forever." They smiled at one another before brushing their lips together.

They set off, down the beach, hands tightly held together, tight. Walking off into the sunset, ready for the challenges that life was going to throw at them. But they would be together. Forever.

*a/n*
So that brings this story to an end! It's been emotional rollercoaster that's for sure but thank you all for reading and showing the love! Let me know if you liked this story and if you would like to see more like this in the future!!!