Chapter 23: Patience

Dean was in his bedroom while listening to music with his headphones on Numerous empty beer bottles are set on the floor near the bed. He adds another one to the pile.

Ava was in her pajamas laying on her tummy doing her school work and listening to her iPod. Just then Sam knocked on her door and Ava wasn't paying attention.

Sam: Ava! *takes her headphones off*
Ava: hey! Oh hi Uncle Sam
Sam: night check just came to make sure you were ready for bed
Ava: yeah just finishing up my last assignment for tonight
Sam: alright go to bed afterwards, you got school in the morning
Ava: okay, okay! And is night check really necessary, I'm almost an adult now
Sam: key word "almost" and yes it's necessary, with everything your dad is going through our job is keeping you safe especially with what's going on with Jack right now we don't know what his powers are or if we should trust him
Ava: but you trust him
Sam: yeah I do
Ava: but dad doesn't
Sam: he's still upset about losing mom yet again but he won't admit it
Ava: will find grandma, and Uncle Sam. Thanks for not keeping this a secret from me
Sam: of course *kiss forehead* go to bed
Ava: yes sir

Just then Sam's phone rang and he excuse himself and exited her bedroom.

Sam: Hello.
Missouri: (on phone) Sam Winchester? It's good to hear your voice.
Sam: Missouri. Wow, it's been uh...

Missouri is outside. It is dark out.

Missouri: I know, a long time. Sorry to be a stranger.
Sam: That's alright, how are you?
Missouri: Honestly? I could use some help.

Missouri is revealed to be outside the Psychic Office. There are police and emergency service vehicles outside. A gurney is being taken into the house.

With Jack in the bunker that same night, after Sam left. Jack is still watching the video Kelly left for him.

Kelly: (on screen) Jack, don't let anyone tell you who you're supposed to be. Because who you're supposed to be isn't fate, it isn't me, it isn't your father. You are who you choose to be. And I know you're going to okay. You are going to be amazing. You have an angel watching over you.

Sam is sitting at the table on the phone. Dean walks in with a questioning look.

Sam: Yeah, yeah, no I hear you. Yeah, thank you Jody. Yeah.

Sam hangs up the phone and looks bemused.

Dean: What's up?
Sam: You'll never believe this. I got a call from Missouri Moseley.
Dean: Wow. What's it been, like a decade?
Sam: More.
Dean: How is she?
Sam: Not great. She said that she got out of the life for a while but something happened and she needed help with a case, so I put Jody on it.
Dean: Why would you do that?
Sam: Because we need to stay here. We need to help Jack learn how to control his powers. Jody can handle this.
Dean: Yeah, maybe she can. Or maybe she ends up dead because you wanted to skip out on her to babysit the antichrist.

They exchange a look. Sam looks exasperated.

Sam: Dean, we need him.
Dean: No, don't.
Sam: Mom...
Dean: Don't. You... If you want to stay here and Mr Miyagi this kid, knock yourself out. I didn't sign up for that. I already have a kid to look after. So I'm going to go to work.

Ava comes out after their conversation as Dean walks off. She let her dad by not to bother him as Sam looks dismayed.

Ava: *looks at him* so... bad time to give you my assignment

Sam sighs and puts hand out and Ava smiles and hand him, her homework.

The Next Day.

Jody is talking to an agent standing in front of a police car.