Chapter 8

Flashes of different images spread across Sam's periphery, so fast he felt nauseous until finally, a clear picture formed. A woman with dark hair and baby blue eyes sat in her living room sewing up tattered soldier uniforms. 'Manic Monday' played through the stereo in the small hallway behind her. She bobbed her head to the beat as she made conversation with the dog curled up in the armchair a foot away.

The Bangles song suddenly became staticky, a female voice whispering inaudible sentences through the crackling in the speakers. The woman sat up, the dog barking in the direction of the stereo.

"Luke!"

She put the Revolutionary coat down beside her and stood up. She grabbed the Lone Survivor book off of the coffee table, raising it to use as a weapon as she crept forward. She fiddled with the stereo knobs, turning the volume all the way down then completely off, back on, and ultimately unplugged the whole thing from the wall to no avail. The static continued, the voice going in and out over the noise, the digital numbers flashing on a nonexistent station.

The woman back-peddled into the kitchen, shouting for Luke and making a beeline for the back door, yanking desperately on the handle when it refused to open. She could hear Luke calling to her on the other side of the door. The lights shut off, rats scurrying through the walls and ceiling. The small window on the back door began to ice over, the woman spinning around only to come face to face with the poltergeist as it shoved its pale hand into her chest, blood soaking her blue long sleeve shirt.

***

Sam came to, bent forward on the park bench, his fingers pressed so hard into his forehead, that Dean could see where his fingertips had been once he lowered his hands. Sam forced himself to focus on his surroundings. Dean squatting in front of him, his hands gripping Sam's arms to steady him, Rory's bewildered expression, her giant blue eyes wide with concern, her phone in her hand, and a few passersby giving them odd looks as they strolled down the sidewalk, and the fluffy snow falling down around them, feeling completely out of place with the horror show Sam had just witnessed.

"What's happening? What does he mean a woman is in danger?" Rory asked. She was freaked, and Sam wished to God he could save her from the harsh reality of the world they lived in, but she'd unwittingly been dragged into it now. Something terrible was about to happen, and they didn't have time to come up with a feezable lie for her.

"What did you see?" Dean asked, tuning Rory and her questions out, focused solely on Sam and making sure he was alright.

Sam blinked rapidly, massaging his head. "A woman in a house. A blue house. The stereo went out on its own. There was a voice, but I couldn't tell what it was saying. The electricity shut off and the doors wouldn't open. It trapped her inside. The poltergeist, it killed her, Dean. Just like the soldier in the square."

"So maybe it has nothing to do with the court house," Dean said, helping Sam sit up.

Sam's eyes grew wide, his mind clearing enough for him to think properly. "Dean, the uniforms. She was working on the uniforms. They were in both visions and at the court house last night."

"Visions? Like Luke Skywalker? Poltergeists?" Rory asked. She was shaking her head like she was trying to wake up from a bad dream.

Sam glanced at her apologetically. "I'm sorry. It doesn't make much sense, but—"

"Wait. My mom was supposed to work on the soldier uniforms. She told me that Andrew dropped them off at the house this morning."

"Son of a bitch," Dean grumbled, flipping his phone open and calling Bobby, instructing Sam to get the girl in the car.

Sam's heart hammered loudly in his chest as he struggled to regain composure, his head pounding just like it had earlier that morning. He got to his feet, pulling Rory up after him, ushering her toward the Impala. "One thing I don't get. Why attack the woman at her house? She wasn't one of the soldiers. Maybe the poltergeist didn't care? Or it attacks whoever's in the vicinity?"

"Then why not kill the men last night? Why just scare them?" Dean lowered the phone from his ear, dialing the number again. "Damn it, Bobby. Answer your freaking phone."

"Guess it wanted people to know it was here first?" Sam offered, waiting for Rory to slide into the car, before he shut her door.

"Attention whore," Dean scoffed, climbing into the driver seat once Sam shut his door, and they tore off in the direction of Rory's house.