A Visit Part I

Juugo and Sasuke part ways just before they cross the border into the Land of Fire. Juugo wants to return to his isolated home out in the wilderness and Sasuke intends to bring the poison to Orochimaru. They separated with a quick hug and Juugo tells Sasuke that he can join him after this is done. Sasuke had been grateful for the offer. He doesn't know what he will do after he sees Orochimaru. The sannin was technically aligned with Konoha and maintained a sanctioned lab within their borders. This means, to see Orochimaru, Sasuke will be near Konoha—near Kakashi and Naruto, and Sarada. 

     Should he go there? Should he visit them? See the daughter that will never be his? He should tell Naruto and Kakashi that the group responsible has been dealt with but he could just write a letter. Should he stay away like he promised or try to get to know his daughter, like Juugo wanted? Sasuke still hasn't made up his mind when he gets to Orochimaru's labs. 

     Surprisingly, the sannin is delighted to see his protege. “Sasuke,” he greets the young alpha with a sanguine smile and ushers them inside. “What do I owe the pleasure of your company?” 

     It then occurs to Sasuke that he will have to tell Orochimaru of Karin and Suigetsu's early end. "We need to speak." 

     Orochimaru’s pleasant smile tempers slightly. “Just like you to get to the point,” he doesn’t sound offended. “At least sit. You look like hell,” he adds cheerfully and brings them to a table. 

     Sasuke doesn’t bother arguing. Over the past few years his sensei had embraced a less cryptic lifestyle. The sannin still carried out his experiments under the supervision of Konoha— whatever that meant— but he also wrote to Sasuke on occasion, just to check in, and took up cooking. Orochimaru isn’t hopping from hideout to hideout, either. For the past four year he has taken up permanent residence and this compound is almost...homey. Sasuke suspects his sensei is working on something that requires stability and resources but decides he doesn’t want to know. 

     “Are you here alone?” Sasuke asks as he sits at the table. He doesn’t sense anyone else but Orochimaru always did keep odd company. 

     The sannin is still gliding around his kitchen, retrieving mugs for tea, when he answers. “Mostly, and now yes.” He comes back to the table after the kettle is on the stovetop. It looks as if he’s using an omega vessel again but it’s always a little difficult to tell such things when it comes to Orochimaru. “We’re alone," he sits across from the other. "Whatever you need to say, you can speak freely.” 

     Sasuke withdraws the scroll from within his cloak and hands it over the table. "Karin and Suigetsu were attacked. The responsible group used this poison and I need you to examine it." 

     Orochimaru accepts the scroll but doesn't release the items. He taps it against his palm thoughtfully while looking at Sasuke directly. "They were attacked?"  

     The raven-alpha manages not to lose control of his placid, frozen expression. "They didn't survive." 

     Sasuke's words are met with silence. Orochimaru's eerie smile withers and his face tightens. Maybe there is some humanity left in him, afterall. "What of their pup?" His elegant fingers are sliding around the scroll with barely-there control. He actually cared. 

     Sasuke knew Karin and Suigetsu told their former master that they had a child. They did not tell him who actually fathered her, though. Sasuke doesn't even consider telling the truth. There was a time Orochimaru coveted an Uchiha body and though he doesn’t believe the sannin would cross him, Sasuke does not intend to reveal Sarada’s identity to anyone else. "The pup didn't make it."