Fathers

XiiiX

     That night, after Sarada was put to bed, Kakashi, Naruto, and Sasuke sat around the dining table and talked. The conversation remained easy and light. Naruto retold stories from a time before Sasuke left the village. Kakashi laughs, endlessly amused by the things Naruto says even if it's off the cuff. It felt more like catching up with old friends than re-learning how to be a part of their lives and Sasuke finds himself smiling as easily as his hosts. 
     Then, Naruto mentions the extended council. “Kakashi and Shikamaru tried to talk me out of it, but the council is really coming together.” He grins at his mate. “Admit it, it was a good idea! I’m not terrible at this political thing, after all.” 
     Kakashi is about to concede the point but Sasuke cuts him off, “what about the council?” His voice immediately sounds defensive.
     The mated pair shift in their seats and glance at each other. “I guess I never told you about it,” Naruto reflects slowly. “I wanted it to be a surprise, at first, but then with everything that happened I forgot.” 
     Sasuke relaxes slightly. “Did Koharu and Homura step down? Or die?” He adds the last part with enough hope it makes the other two laugh. 
     “No, not yet anyway,” Kakashi mutters. 
     “I wrote a proposal almost a year ago,” Naruto explains. He looks proud of himself. It took hard work to improve his writing skills and it actually paid off. “We weren’t sure if they were going to go for it, but Konoha’s Council is now officially ten positions, instead of the shadow government from before. Koharu and Homura are still on it but they’re no more or less powerful than the other eight members and everything has to go through a vote now, so…” 
     “They’re held accountable,” Sasuke sounds like he’s had a revelation.
     “Yeah, exactly,” Naruto agrees. 
      If he had his way, the two crones would be in prison or dead. The world doesn’t work like that, though. Sasuke has mostly accepted it and he doesn’t actually want revenge like he once did. He wants justice but even that felt unobtainable. This is, at best, a consolation to what Sasuke truly desires but...it’s also more than he realistically hoped for. “Who are the other members?”
     “Established clans elect representatives,” Kakashi answers. “Most are clan heads but some send surrogates. The clans get to decide who represents them, though.” 
     “Right now there are eight clans on the council: Yamanaka, Akimichi, Nara, Hyuuga, Shimura, Sarutobi, Aburame, and Inuzuka.” Naruto lists them off. He could recite their clan heads and representatives, too. “We invited all the founding clans to start but newer clans could request representation, too.” 
     “All non-military decisions are approved by the council,” Kakashi adds softly. He can see that Sasuke understands the thing they aren’t saying. If the council had existed in this form twenty years ago, the Uchiha would have had representation. It would have been harder to ostracize them. The crimes against them may never have happened. Grievances could have been settled at a table, rather than through civil war and eventual genocide.  
     This is Naruto’s vision, finally at work.
     Sasuke shakes his head in disbelief, “how did you even get them to agree to it?” He notices Kakashi shoots Naruto a dirty look and turns to the blond. “What did you do?” 
     “Nothing!” Naruto insists. “It’s just this little provision that the whole council got, and it’s probably a good thing. Really!” 
     Kakashi glares harder. 
     “You’re lying,” Sasuke accuses. 
     “I’m… looking at the silver lining?” The omega winces. 
     “The council has the power to veto a sitting Hokage’s selection for successor,” Kakashi answers and leans back in his seat. He’s still giving his mate a look. “When I name my successor,” he motions toward Naruto, “the council will have to approve him by majority vote.” 
     Sasuke notices Naruto isn’t denying it. Rather, the blond is rubbing the back of his neck and grinning unapologetically. Naruto’s succession had felt like a sure thing for years. Kakashi would nominate him and, before this clause, there was no reason to think Naruto wouldn’t be totally embraced. Now, though, that could be in jeopardy.  “Is there any chance that won’t happen?” 
     At the same moment, Naruto says, “Nah!” Kakashi also answers, “yes.” The mated pair glare at each other and the table goes quiet. Despite the heated looks, the only emotions flying between them is concern and admiration and a little bit of sadness and frustration. 
     “I don’t regret it,” Naruto says flatly. “It was the right thing for Konoha, even if it made things more complicated for me. Future Hokage should be vetted by the clans that make up Konoha. Besides,” he adds brightly, “Homura and Koharu don’t have any dirt on me, anyway.” 
     Kakashi says nothing but Sasuke can tell this is an old argument. He also can’t help but think Naruto did this, at least in part, for him. “You’ve already made Konoha a better place and you’re not even Hokage, yet.” 
     Naruto smiles and warm pride blooms out, like Sasuke's praise was sunlight. “That was always the plan.” 
     Despite himself, Kakashi smiles, too. He is proud of his mate even if he thinks the blond is reckless sometimes. Kakashi stretches in his seat, still smiling. “It’s very late,” he observes while standing up. Since they took in Sarada, they hadn’t been staying up like this. They slept when they could, in between feedings and diaper changes. “I’m going to bed but you two can keep talking. It won’t keep me up.” 
     Naruto notices the time and swears, "crap it is late."  
     "I'm sorry if I kept you," Sasuke stands and contemplates leaving. He could go back to Orochimaru's, rather than crash on their sofa, but Naruto offers to put together some pillows and blankets before he can refuse. 
     "Nah, we had fun," the blond shushes him as he brings out some blankets. "Sorry, we don't have a guest bed. We had to get rid of it to fit Sarada's crib."
     Sasuke accepts the blankets and decides not to tell Naruto he's mostly been sleeping outside on the grass. He's very grateful for a comfortable sofa. "This is fine,  thank you." He looks down and clears his throat. "I'll leave in a few hours before the sun is up." 
     The mated pair stand side by side near the hall to the bedrooms. They understand why Sasuke needs to leave so early. "OK, just visit again soon?" Naruto sounds hopeful. 
     “You can visit as often as you want, just try to be discrete." Kakashi further extends the welcome. "Especially if you come by during the day.” His inner alpha isn’t thrilled with the idea of Sasuke visiting when he isn’t home. In fact, he hates the idea. He won’t forbid it, though, because this isn’t a matter of trust. He knows Naruto and Sasuke could be alone all day and no lines would be crossed. Unfortunately, village gossip might not be so kind… 
     “I won’t come during the day,” Sasuke rules that out at once. “But I will visit soon.” 
     "Good," the omega relaxes and Kakashi gives their guest a small wave goodnight. 
     Sasuke unfolds his blankets and unzips his vest to make himself more comfortable. He notices their small home is quiet, warm, and cozy. Orochimaru's labs always feel vast, impersonal, and cold. It smells like a mix of Naruto and Kakashi but, surprisingly, Sasuke's inner beast doesn't feel uneasy sleeping in another alpha's den. He feels safe. 
     The blankets are soft and smell like detergent. The sofa feels like a cloud compared to the hard cot he's been struggling to sleep on. There's also something reassuring about being close enough to Sarada that he can protect her if needed. He closes his eyes and listens to the gentle quiet. As nice as it is here, Sasuke reminds himself it's just one night. If he makes this a habit, he's going to hurt himself. 
     On the other side of the house, Naruto and Kakashi crawl into bed and the omega hugs his mate tightly. “Thank you,” he sighs happily and snuggles closer. 
     Kakashi hugs him back and they both start purring. He knows what Naruto is thanking him for, though it feels odd to accept the praise. 
     “Tell me if it gets too much for you, ok? I know you’re trying to do the right thing but I don’t want to stress you out.” Naruto cautions sleepily. They had enough miscommunications and growing pains already. He isn’t keen on going back to how things were. 
     “Hm,” the alpha grunts. “Now that you mention it, there is something I wanted to bring up.” 
     “What?” Naruto sits up to face his mate. 
     “Have you thought about when you’re coming back to work?” Kakashi asks as gently as possible. It’s not a matter of money. Naruto inherited all of Jiraiya’s assets and Kakashi himself has been earning a jounin’s salary since he was twelve. They aren’t hurting by any means but… Naruto still has career goals. If he’s absent from work much longer Koharu and Homura will eventually make it an issue. 
     Naruto grumbles and collapses back in the bed. “I don’t knoooow,” he moans. “I don’t want to put her in daycare.” 
     “She’s six months old, Naruto.” 
     “I just,” the omega starts up too loudly and then calms himself down. “I keep thinking, what if someone figures it out? What if we miss some of her hair, or it grows in and they see the black. Or what if someone notices her scent isn’t quite like yours.” 
     “We don’t know if any of that will happen if she goes to daycare but we know what will happen if you don’t go back to work.” Kakashi uses the analytical reasoning that helped keep him alive on countless missions. It’s not ideal but if Naruto wants to pursue his dreams he’s going to have to make a tough call. 
     “I’ll think about it,” Naruto concedes and sounds tired. He does not want strangers caring for his pup. 
     Kakashi takes the agreement to think about it and decides that’s enough life-changing decisions for one night. “Thank you.” He kisses his mate on the head and they finally get some sleep.