comfort

Morgan supported Spencer heavily as they drudged down the hall. For a while, they left a long trail of water behind them. Spencer was slowly becoming stronger, more dry, and less cold. He let Morgan keep supporting him even though he could have walked on his own with little trouble. 

Cory and Mariah walked silently behind the two. They had been walking next to them, because when they were behind before, Cory slipped on the water across the floor and fell. Spencer told him he was lucky he didn't actually hurt himself, because the way he fell was... but he had stopped listening then. They resumed their place behind them as Spencer started tracking less water.

Cory started as a woman's voice jumped out at him. "Morgan, what the hell? We've been looking everywhere for you. Did you find any--" But the voice stopped. 

Cory leaned around Morgan to see the speaker. It was a blonde woman with dark blue eyes, and a shocked expression. She simply stared at Spencer. And Spencer stared back.

"I don't feel like we should be here for this." Mariah whispered so that only Cory could hear.

JJ bit her lip. "...Spencer?"

"Yeah, JJ, it's me, I'm so sorry..." But Spencer saw the expression on JJ's face and stopped apologizing. He only had to go a couple paces before JJ reached him. As she flung her arms around his neck, he wrapped his arms tightly around her and accidentally lifted her slightly off the ground in his overwhelming happiness. He set her down, but neither let go. They swayed on the spot, just happy to finally see each other again. 

Morgan watched and smiled. Things would actually go at least slightly back to normal.

"Spencer?" JJ mumbled into his shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"You're soaking wet."

He smiled and pulled away. He wiped his eyes in sync with JJ and turned to Morgan.

"No, really, why is he so wet?" JJ asked Morgan.

"He... I think we should talk about it later." 

Spencer nodded at Morgan and added, "It's not anything, it just might... dampen... the mood."

JJ swatted playfully at him-- but Spencer flinched massively.

JJ was startled. What the hell had happened that could make Spencer react like that? What the hell did they do to him? It could literally be any range of abuse, starting with beating, most likely. "Woah, Spencer, I'm sorr--" 

"No, no, that was my fault. It's fine, I just-- I didn't see that coming for some reason." He smiled (it was fake), and tried to brush it off.

Only then did JJ really get a good look at him. 

He still hadn't gotten his shirt back from William, so JJ could see all of his scars that coated his arms and torso and neck. Some were old, some were troublingly fresh and patches were still raw. His hair was longer, not as in 'Jesus Reid' as Emily called it, but different. It was wet, but still curled. She could tell the only thing that he had been able to do with it was let it grow. He didn't stand in a confident manner, and although it was hard to tell with his height, he hunched slightly. It wasn't voluntary. JJ and him made eye contact, and he gave her a tight lipped smile. He knew what she was thinking.

"Oh, Spence... what did they do to you?" She whispered.

"Just... some experiments. It's fine, though, they didn't really get to me or anything." He shrugged.

"Spencer. It's okay--"

"To not be okay, I know." He interrupted Morgan. He looked between the two. Taking a deep breath, he added, "Look, I trust this team more than anyone in the world. I will open up to you, just... not tonight, please."