Tourner Dans Le Vide

Song is Tourner Dans Le Vide by Indila. Special props to Dotemms and The Hole for their help!

----------

  It was with more than a little trepidation and concern that Sarv had the kids attempt the next jump that weekend. As she put away the books and cleared the space for the next jump Rasazy was flipping through her notebook, doing a final readthrough of her notes. Sarv heard her sigh, and stopped to face her.

  "Something wrong, honey?"

  Rasazy flipped the notebook closed. "Are you and Daddy as worried about Sel as I am?"

  Sarvente immediately put down the stack of books in her hands and sat beside her daughter. "Worried about Sel? What is it?"

  Rasazy slumped. "He's not the same. He's...he seems to be getting obsessed with time travel." She drew her gray hoodie closer to herself. "I just worry that he's flying too close to the sun, that he's going to get cocky and hurt himself because he tries to jump too fast or too often." She averted her eyes and scuffed her feet. "That sounds stupid, I'm sorry."

  "No, honey." Sarv put her arms around her daughter, squeezing her tight. "That's a perfectly valid concern to have. Your father and I have been concerned about it."

  She put her chin on the top of Rasazy's head. "I think though that your brother may need to make a mistake. He's stubborn and reckless. Sometimes people like that need to make a mistake, hurt themselves even, before they learn their limits and stay in them."

  She pulled back to look at Rasazy. "I know it may not be what you want to hear, but Selever needs to get this way. He needs to test his limits and learn where the line is. Sometimes as your parents we need to not interfere and just let you both make mistakes and get in messes." She stood, kissed Rasazy on the forehead, and picked up the books to shelve them neatly nearby. "It seems counterproductive, but I've learned in the time you've been here that it's best sometimes to let things sort themselves out. It's okay to worry, but I think this is something he has to do for himself."

  Rasazy seemed to think it over as she finished shelving the last of the books and started straightening their papers and notes. After a little while, she smiled.

  "I think you're right, Mama. He really can be so hopeless sometimes, maybe I should just let him see. It's not my job to fix his problems for him."

  She hugged Sarv around her legs. "Thanks Mama. You're the best."

----------

  "Okay, we're doing a fifteen second jump this time, Sel. Remember the rules."

  Sarvente watched her son shake out his limbs, his movements loose and fluid. "Keep within the time frame, try to land in the same spot, stop messing with dad. I got it, Mom. Don't worry."

  She nodded once at him, and went to join Rasazy and Ruv to the side. Ruv had the stopwatch this time, Rasazy holding her notebook and scribbling away at it. They watched on as Selever jumped on the balls of his feet a few times, stretching his fingers and getting out the jitters. Sarv was biting her nails; she'd talked a good game with Rasazy, but she was still worried he'd do something rash and she watched as he relaxed and raised his energy, the feeling of dread rising like bile in her throat.

  Selever breathed out, his wings flaring out gracefully behind him as his hands rose and rotated counterclockwise, summoning the ticking fractal of the temporal portal. Slowly, it began to pulse and he spread his hands, vanishing in a flash of pink light.

  She heard the click of Ruv starting the stopwatch, the ticking like a pulse in her ears. Five seconds passed. Rasazy was tapping her notebook with her pencil impatiently. Ten seconds passed. Ruv shuffled his boots, obviously antsy. Fifteen seconds came...and passed.