Chapter 16: Mellohi is Found

Começar do início

"Mellohi!" Tommy howled. The Enderman swiveled toward him, but Tommy kept his gaze at her feet. She teleported directly in front of him, causing the boy to flinch. His distraction gave the Avengers time to check over their friends' wounds.

Tommy trembled under Mellohi's gaze, afraid of what she was capable of. He stood there, realizing he had nothing to say. No words came to mind that would be even remotely appropriate for the situation at hand. Mellohi, frustrated with the distraction, raised her weapon for a fatal blow. The boy's eyes widened in fear. In a move of pure desperation, Tommy wrapped his arms around his friend in a hug. He buried his face in her shoulder, bracing himself for his demise.

But it never came.

Tommy heard a thump in the snow, and he dared to glance up at his Enderman friend. Mellohi stared at her sword, then her hands, and finally at her best friend. In smoking trails, droplets sped down her sensitive cheeks. The little Enderman buried her head in the crook of Tommy's neck, weeping.

"Tommy. Oh, Tommy," she sniffled, clutching him tightly, as if she were afraid he would die right then in her arms. She pulled him to his knees with her. Tommy rubbed awkward circles on her back.

"It's okay," he assured. "I'm okay."

"I'm sorry," she whispered. She was trembling violently. "I am so, so sorry."

"Hey, hey," he murmured. "It's alright, mate. I'm here."

"It's not alright at all!" she wailed. "I tried to kill you!"

"But you didn't."

Mellohi couldn't speak anymore. She lamented the near death of her new best friend to a degree that went beyond words. The pain of her tears only made her whimpering worse. The silence of the tundra was broken only by her sorrow.

The Avengers dressed Tony and Clint's wounds. Ghostbur helped them by rushing in and out of the cabin with medical supplies, and occasionally some blue. They constantly shot terrified glances at the sobbing Enderman. Tony had regained consciousness, and was in a lot of pain. Nat confirmed he had a severe concussion.

"What the hell just happened?" he mumbled, his words slurred.

"I don't know, but right now, we need to get you to a hospital," Steve explained. "Clint, you too."

"What's a hospital?" Ghostbur wondered.

"Please tell me you're joking," Nat groaned. Ghostbur shook his head.

"This is just great," Bruce deadpanned. "Two of our party are wounded severely, we're lost and stranded in an unknown land, and we're in the presence of two of the most violent creatures in the country."

Mellohi's long ears twitched. With much effort, she lifted her weary head to glance at the Avengers. The skin beneath her eyes was raw and burned, and it was beginning to blister. Her bottom lip quivered, and she was still trembling in Tommy's grasp, but her eyes had run dry. She gazed sadly at Tony and Clint, and the rest of the Avengers almost believed it was sincere. Almost.

With the help of her new best friend, Mellohi pulled herself to her feet. Tommy handed her the blindfold, which she accepted gratefully, and he helped tie it over her scarring eyes. Shakily, she staggered over to where the injured were.