yachi and the email detectives // 36

Start from the beginning

"He's seen his last days!!"

"Is no one concerned how he got the email?"

"Toshiko protection brigade is on the rise!!"

"You're all obnoxious-"

"Whatshouldwedo- whatshouldwedo- what-?!"

"Moron! Get ahold of yourself!"

"H-Hinata calm down!"

"I swear to God if you all don't stop shouting right now-!"

"H-hey wait a minutes guys..." My voice couldn't even be heard over the massive amounts of voices muddling together and smothering me. Before elbowing out of their mosh pit we all got yelled at again. This time by Koushi.

"CALM DOOOWN!" At the sound of his overpowering voice, everyone paused on a dime and quickly whipped their heads around to face him. Hearing him shout for the first time made me blush a little... Once he saw he garnered everyone's attention Sugawara pinched the bridge of his nose and let out an exaggerated sigh. "Seriously, guys! You're about to give Yachi a heart attack!"

Yachi...?

The girl I startled before, now looked like she was gonna be sick! Her small blonde ponytail shook as she did. But in that moment I had a realization.

"Hey! Yachi, was it?" My voice heightened with excitement as I dug my way out of the crowd and quickly approached her. "You're in class 1-5 right?? So you're pretty smart???"

At the sound of me shouting her name, a small 'eep' left her mouth. But my next question looked like it threw her off guard a little bit. I looked down at her with hope in my eyes and held my phone up to display the message.

"What can you make of this email??" My smile stretched across my face in hopes I wasn't scaring her anymore.

Yachi laughed nervously. "Eheh... um..." She hummed as her eyes darted back and forth on my screen. The air was still and everyone waited patiently. "Well- it's... I think that maybe this person doesn't go to our school. Because if they did, wouldn't they just- you know- approach you in person?"

.

.

.

"UWAH! That's a good point!" I delighted in her breakthrough. "Yachi-!"

"Oi, what's everyone just standing around for?" Ukai sauntered into the gym and looked around. "And why aren't you all dressed for practice?"

The team looked around perplexed. Daichi spoke up. "Um, coach? We're all dressed and warmed up..."

"I was talking to that one."

... eh? He's pointing at me.

My breath nearly caught in my throat. "Ah... coach?"

"Don't you know what day it is? Doctors set this date for coming back to practice, don't tell me you forgot already."

...... !!

"Hurry up kid, can't hold up practice forev-"

"WOOHOO!!! Yes!!!" I must've left dust in my wake with how fast I ran out of the gym to change in the club room. I probably got back in 60 seconds flat! Scared the soul out of Ukai as he was not expecting me to burst in so quickly. I beamed while wiggling into my gym shoes and pulling up my knee pads. I had so much excitement and relief bubbling up inside me I ended up doing something no one really expected. I jumped in front of coach and the team and bowed aggressively with a smile still wearing out my cheek muscles.

"Thank you for having me back at practice!!"

xxx

My head rested on Nishinoya's leg as I lay sprawled out on the floor chugging a water bottle.

"Damn, you really wore yourself out!" He flicked the end of my water bottle and caused a cascade of droplets to spill out on my face. He laughed as I dried them with the collar of my shirt. "You overdid it, huh?"

"Pbpbpb! I'm not worn out..." I blew a raspberry at him and teased. "I'm simply absorbing your energy right now so I can receive more serves and beat you in the next drill."

"Ha! If you really wanna do that you can absorb the energy better through my hand!"

"Mmmm sounds like you just want me to hold your hand."

"Hehe, caught me!" We both began mocking and teasing each other until a soft voice grabbed our attention.

"Um, do- do either of you want a towel?"

"Oh Yachi PLEASE get this girl a towel. She's bathing me in her sweat right now." He snickered playfully when I sat up and chopped his head.

"Uelck! Don't talk about my sweat like that!!" He kind of embarrassed me, and that showed through my warm cheeks. But I cleared my throat and gratefully took the towel from Yachi's hands before looking up at her from the floor.

"So Yachi, what do you think I should do about the email?"

"Eh?! You're asking me?" She blinked in surprise.

"Well. Yeah! You're the one who pointed out that he's probably from another school. I didn't even think of that and I've had the whole day to think of clues!" After a moment of processing my words she rubbed the back of her neck and smiled. I was glad to see a happy expression on her face! But quickly it melted back into an anxious expression.

"Well, now that I start to think about it.... Oh no- what if this really is a stalker?? Or worse! A serial killer! Oh my god what if you're in danger?!"

Eh?... and I thought I was an over-thinker! She's just made herself anxious out of nowhere.

I did my best to calm her down and reel in her spiraling thoughts. "I don't think it's like that. But maybe I should start asking them questions and figure out who they are!"

"Hey, I got an idea!" Noya shouted next to me. "Agree to it!!"

"...What?"

He leaned in closer to me with a devious look in his eyes. "Agree to the date! And then when the time comes to meet him, Ryu and I will be your escorts and we can tell if he's a good guy or not! Haha!"

"Wha-?! Nishinoya that's-"

"What are you guys up to over here~?" Suga's voice made me jump in surprise. "Too tired to continue practice?"

"No! No of course not! I-I just didn't see that it was time for the next drill!"

He smiled down at me dreamily, holding out his hand for me to take. "I thought so. C'mon slowpoke."

Ugh - I can't stop blushing!! Sugawara...