6: Roof

(Artwork by me, @NeneYashiro23)

"Control Amane?" Nene asked, eyes wide. "T-that doesn't make sense."

"You're important to him, Yashiro-san. You have to have realized that."

A thousand little moments flashed through her head.

"Are you afraid I'll do something?"

"I'll stay with Yashiro!"

"Did my becoming human make you think it was okay to be bolder?"

"So am I."

"Tada?"

"At least you kept your promise!"

"What if I'm not teasing?"

"Hi, I'm Amane-kun, Yashiro's boyfriend."

"You can't get hurt. I'd never forgive myself if you . . ."

"Y-you're right," Nene said. "I . . ."

"Need to stay here, and stay safe. Now that you're my responsibility, I don't want Amane angry at me when he comes back."

"As Hanako, right?" Nene asked. Tsuchigomori didn't answer. "Umm, hello? Why wouldn't he--" Nene froze. "Oh no."

"You figured it out, huh?" Tsuchigomori asked. Nene nodded.

"He's not planning to go back to being Hanako. He wants to stay Amane . . . but why?"

Tsuchigomori raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure you'll see." Nene turned to the door.

"I have to go." She ran out of the office before Tsuchigomori could move.

"Fine," he sighed. "No. 7, please don't kill me.

~~_~~

"What do you want?" Amane asked, arms crossed. On the other side of the roof stood Tsukasa and Kako. Tsukasa was also alive.

"We want you to give up your position as No. 7 and the leader of Wonders." Kako said. The old man was hunched over.

"Okay." His answer shocked the two. "But just a quick question: how did Tsukasa and I become . . . alive again?"

"Using my power, I turned your time back to before you died, giving you time alive. I believe that, as you grew closer to Yashiro, she would mean more to you. I was planning on using her as a bargaining device, but-- since you are feeling comparative --I won't need to."

Amane nodded. "And the scar?" Tsukasa laughed.

"That was my idea! But I think you figured it out, hmm?"

"It's a timer. Once it disappears, I won't be able to return to being Hanako." Amane said to Tsukasa's delight.

"Yeees! That's right! And, in about a minute or two, the timer will be done!"

"Amane!" The boy spun around. Nene was making her way across the roof. "Amane, you can't do this!"

"Yashiro? You're supposed to be with No. 5!" Amane turned back to his brother. "When the timer runs out, I'll surrender my position as No. 7. Just don't hurt Yashiro."

"Wait-- you're staying alive to spend time with her?" Tsukasa gestured to Nene, who was now next to Amane. "Hmm, that's not as fun." He turned to Kako. "I think we'll have to use Plan B. I mean, if it'll hurt him the most . . ."

Amane's eyes widened. "You're not touching her." He stepped forward to stand in front of Nene. Nene stumbled back.

"Huh? What--" Amane threw his arms out to protect Nene. Tsukasa moved quickly. Amane prepared to fight.

And completely misjudged his brother's target. 

A/N: 

All my favorite Amane quotes from the story in one place! I really like this chapter, I have to admit. 

Also-- the next part will probably be the last. This has been an awesome journey, so thank you!

Stay safe and healthy!

~~ Author-chan ~~