2: Home

Making Amane go to sleep was nearly impossible. He had tried to negotiate to sleep with Nene, but she had turned him down. That said, Nene had promised that at least once while he was alive, she would let him.

He was currently asleep on her couch. After eating for the first time in decades, the boy had fallen asleep relatively quickly.

Nene watched him for a minute.

He looks so peaceful . . .

Nothing like the knife-toting, perverted ghost she had known.

Amane shifted in his sleep, and Nene saw something white flash on the underside of his right wrist.

Moving quietly, she took his hand and inspected his wrist. A long, pale scar raced up his wrist and zig-zagged up his forearm. Nene traced it with her finger.

It's cold.

That didn't make sense, but Nene didn't give it much thought. After all, nothing about this made sense.

Her finger stopped at the edge of his sleeve. Nene wanted to know why he got the scar. She wanted to protect him from getting another one.

Nene slowly stood and moved to the other side of the couch. She leaned over Amane.

Carefully, she pulled down the edge of his shirt. Knowing what would happen if she was caught, Nene was as quiet as possible.

The scar continued up his shoulder and stopped at his collar bone. Nene wondered why she had never noticed it.

It's the gakuran, she thought. I've never seen him in anything other than long sleeves.

She gently pressed her thumb against the spot where the scar ended.

So cold.

A hand caught her wrist.

"W-what are you doing?" Amane asked, eyes wide. Nene released his shirt.

"Ah-- um -- so-- well--" Nene blushed too. When she tried to step back, Amane's other arm shot up and caught her arm. Pulling her over the edge of the couch, Nene landed on the boy.

"Did my becoming human make you think it was okay to be bolder?" He grinned at the girl laying on top of him.

"W-what?" If it was possible, Nene blushed harder. "N-no!"

"Well, since you're already here, might as well fulfill that promise." Wrapping his arms around her, Amane closed his eyes.

"H-hey! No, s-stop it!" Nene squirmed. Amane opened one eye.

"What? You want to move to your bed?" He grinned. "Since when are you a Naughty Radish?"

"A-amane, I'm actually s-serious!" Nene squealed. Amane smirked.

"So am I."

Nene squirmed off Amane and ran to her phone.

"Hello?" Tsuchigomori answered on the first ring. He had given Nene his number just in case something happened.

"A-a-amane's b-b-b--"

"If he's being perverted, slap him. Okay?"

"B-b-but he--"

"If he tries to fall sleep with you, let him once, then after that, tell him no." Nene flushed redder.

"H-how did you know?" she asked. Tsuchigomori sighed.

"He once was my student, remember?" Nene nodded, even if he couldn't see her.

"Okay," she said.