4 | Scorpion King

Start from the beginning

So maybe he did replace Draco, but everybody he knew so far remembered him as the cool, calm and collected person. Enter Scorpius, who was absolutely a far cry from his father's personality, save from his appearances. Perhaps, Scorpius should start acting more like his father so as not to make people suspicious.

Scorpius then loudly cleared his throat and patted his mother's hand. "We should go now, Mother," he said, donning on a mask of icy coldness to project his father's everyday look. "The Hogwarts train will leave soon."

Narcissa gave him a bemused look, but wordlessly latched onto his arm and side-along Apparated him to the Apparition point near King's Cross. Ditzy appeared beside them with his school trunk. After stiffly thanking Ditzy, who started crying once more, Scorpius grabbed onto his trunk and pushed it towards the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10.

He ushered his mother to go through first before following behind her. Scorpius admired the Hogwarts Express for a moment, noting that its design had slightly changed over the few years. His eyes then swept around the platform, trying to see if he would notice any familiar faces.

His stomach churned at the thought of going to Hogwarts without Albus and his other Slytherin friends. He somehow lamented that lovely, fiery Rose wouldn't be there to insult him in every way that she could. Sighing, he knew that he would need a lot of adjusting so as not to make himself too noticeable. Besides, he still had the task of fixing the Vanishing Cabinet and killing Albus Dumbledore to occupy his free time.

With a firm nod to himself, Scorpius promised to be the quietest, most obedient Slytherin student Hogwarts had ever had. Even Al would not recognise him.

Narcissa gave him a tight hug and a kiss on his cheek, whispering words of encouragement against his ear before pulling away. There were unshed tears in her eyes, and Scorpius gently smiled, assuring his mother that he would be well. "You must take care of yourself, though," he urged, underlying worry in his voice. He discovered a week before returning to Hogwarts that Voldemort chose to reside in the Malfoy Manor to conduct most of his meetings with his Death Eaters, forcing Narcissa to attend to him with his every beck and call. Scorpius feared for his mother's life, knowing this was part of Voldemort's punishment for Lucius' failures and a silent warning for Scorpius to do his task. It still made him uncomfortable leaving Narcissa behind.

"Do not worry for your mother, my love," she said, brushing her fingers against his cheek. "Worry for yourself, instead."

Sighing, Scorpius embraced his mother again and imagined it was Astoria he was hugging. "I love you, Mum," he whispered. He felt Narcissa stiffen in his arms and Scorpius almost wryly smiled, imagining his father struggling to say those words to his own mother. Scorpius had always been an affectionate boy and it wasn't hard for him to express his love for his parents. Astoria welcomed them with her bright smile and twinkling eyes. Draco always felt a little uncomfortable with Scorpius' words, but Scorpius knew his father appreciated them nonetheless.

"I love you too, Scorpius," Narcissa finally tearfully replied. When she pulled away, Scorpius sadly smiled at her tears. Narcissa gave him another wet peck on his cheek and pushed him towards the Hogwarts Express.

Scorpius immediately scrambled on board, pulling his heavy trunk behind. He enthusiastically waved his hand goodbye at his mother, who he had startled with his actions once more, but Narcissa merely smiled and gently waved her hand in return.

For a while, Scorpius was at a loss on where to sit. He peered at the different carriages and was dismayed that most of them were already occupied. Some would even look at him strangely, but he would hastily apologise and move on before he could dwell on their looks.