2 | Where's Draco?

Start from the beginning

'But how?' he asked, remembering what had happened to the Time-Turner before he was whisked away in this weird version of his childhood home. Panic rose from his stomach at the prospect of having to stay here for a few more days before he was able to procure another Time-Turner.

A sudden pop resounded in the whole corridor and Scorpius swore. He glared at the newcomer, but then gasped upon recognising his personal house-elf, Ditzy. The creature was slightly younger, though.

"Master Scorpius," Ditzy reverently said after bowing in greeting. "The Mistress Malfoy expects you in the East Wing Gardens."

"Mistress Malfoy?" Scorpius echoed, confused.

His house-elf eyed him strangely before slowly nodding his head. "Today is Master Malfoy's trial, Master Scorpius," Ditzy continued. "Mistress Malfoy expects you to be ready, Master Scorpius."

Scorpius paled. A trial. Today was Master Malfoy's trial. His head slowly swirled into a jumbled mess. If today was a trial, his father's trial, then perhaps he failed to go back into time and instead moved forward!

He suddenly couldn't breathe as he stumbled back in surprise. Ditzy squeaked and hastily held him upright. For a terribly small creature, he was surprisingly strong and Scorpius was thankful for his support. "Is Master Scorpius all right? Should Ditzy tell Mistress Malfoy the Master Scorpius is unwell?"

"No, no," he found himself breathlessly whisper in reply. "I... give me a moment, Ditzy. I'll just change my clothes."

His house-elf dutifully escorted him back to his bedroom and helped him dress up. To Scorpius' dismay, most of his clothes were black and grey. He blindly grabbed a random grey wizarding robe and wore it over his head, Ditzy immediately brushing away some lint and smoothing over wrinkles.

His head was still fuzzy when Ditzy escorted him to the East Wing Gardens. Scorpius was expecting the huge array of different flowers his mother nurtured and cared for. It was therefore bewildering when rows and rows of rosebushes greeted his eyes. Astoria hated roses, said they were terribly dull and sad. She opted to plant many other colourful flowers to adorn the East Wing Gardens.

"Mistress Malfoy, Ditzy brings Master Scorpius." Ditzy the house-elf then snapped his fingers and disappeared with a soft pop.

Scorpius' jaw dropped when the Mistress Malfoy, Narcissa, stood up and greeted him with a tired, worn smile. His Nana Narcissa had long been dead since he was five years old and he did not really remember much about her. He had seen her pictures in the Malfoy Manor before and sometimes, he would catch his father sitting underneath her huge portrait near the East Wing Gardens, tearfully talking to her, oblivious his son was observing.

"Na—" He bit his tongue when Narcissa strode forward. She then held both of his hands and squeezed them tight. There were tears in her eyes and Scorpius was at a loss of what to do.

"I know you didn't want to come today, but... but your mother needs you, Scorpius," Narcissa whispered.

"M-mother?" he asked, aghast. Her shimmering, blue eyes grew confused and Scorpius hastily added, "I-I mean, yes, of course, Mother."

Narcissa daintily sniffed and Scorpius immediately fished out his handkerchief from his pockets. His Nana carefully dabbed her eyes with the cloth, but she was unable to stop her tears. Narcissa's hand shook and she choked out a sob, before launching herself into the arms of a surprised Scorpius and broke down against his shoulders.

"E-everything will be all right," he whispered, confused and worried with her distress. "Everything will be all right, Nana, you'll see."

His eyes widened at his slip but the woman in his arms was too distracted with grief.