Bonus chapter: Amazon Prime x Wattpad - Panic!

Start from the beginning

"That's if you win," Ridge interrupts, making me jump.

"You scared me," I glare over the passenger seat, watching Ridge smiling sheepishly at me.

"If you're scared by that, good luck surviving tonight," Ridge snickers.

"Don't be an ass," Hunter warns.

"I wasn't being—"

"Let's not, alright?" I sigh. "We need to stick together tonight. It's going to be hard enough."

Hunter manoeuvres to the side of the road, and I turn away from Ridge. He cuts the headlights; darkness suddenly evading our surroundings.

"Got the torches," Ridge whispers. I hear him reach for the door handle before shutting it quietly behind him. His silhouette moves towards the front of the truck as he whistles softly.

"You ready?" Hunter says, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Let's get this over with," I breathe, squeezing his hand before exiting the car.

I land softly on the grass beneath me, aware of Stacey pulling up behind us. The crunch of gravel halts as she cuts the engine.

I hear distant murmurs; the sound of other kids our age huddled nearby. There are likely twenty others' tonight; the remaining contestants.

"I'm freezing," Stacey stutters, appearing to my left.

"I told you to bring a jacket," Carmen deadpans, hugging me briefly in greeting.

"I've got something in the truck if—"

"I'd rather die of hypothermia, then wear your STD-ridden clothes," Stacey replies, interrupting her ex-boyfriend.

Ridge snorts, turning a torch on. He illuminates his face before shining it right in Stacey's eyes.

She squints, tying back her long blonde hair in a low ponytail. "Quit it, Haswell," she snaps.

"I was simply trying to be a gentleman, but apparently it's never enough—"

"Seriously, you guys?" Carmen sighs, snatching one of the spare torches from Ridge's hands. "Shut up. We don't have time for one of your stupid fights."

"Don't come crying to me when your foot gets stuck in a trap tonight or you trip over a wire and get impaled by something," Ridge says, his eyes focused on Stacey.

"I wouldn't even dream of it," she retorts, barging past him as she walks towards the others. Ridge turns to watch her, eyes unfocused.

"There aren't actual booby-traps... are there?" Carmen whispers to me nervously.

"I don't know," I answer. "But just be careful anyway, okay?"

Despite the darkness, I'm able to see the nerves written across Carmen's dark skin. Her black hair catches in the wind, obscuring my view of her frightened eyes.

"You'll be fine," I reassure her. "Stick with Stacey, like you planned. I'll be with Hunter and Ridge. If something happens, text me."

"No reception once you go into the cornfields," Ridge remarks. "If there's an emergency, you'll have to get close to the house before you'll be able to call for help."

I throw him a withering glare, grabbing one torch from his hands. "That isn't helping," I seethe.

"What? I'm just being practical."

"No one is going to need reception, anyway. Because nothing is going to happen," I say encouragingly.

"Right," Hunter agrees, gripping my hand. "We should probably get moving."