[18] Cake

Marcus sighed. Felden ought to have a law that if you went to jail ten times, you get a year-long sentence! Well, the warden was glad the criminal would get what he deserved.

He walked past the cell and banged on it. Lucan turned as Marcus waved him into the office.

"Alright, Lucan. As you continue to show good behaviour toward your fellow criminals, and you crimes were minor, as usual, we're going to accelerate your release," Marcus said, weary of having to say the same thing over and over since he became warden.

"So that explains the cake!" Lucan exclaimed, reaching for the cake Marcus had bought for his wife's birthday. He mentally rebuked himself for forgetting what Lucan felt about the treat. "A celebra—"

"Don't. Touch. My. Cake."

Lucan stopped.

"Buuuuuut, there's one condition for your release. You're being assigned to mining duty. Near the Basalt Coast." He felt a little smug when Lucan withdrew his hand, worried.

"M-mining duty? Are you sure that paper doesn't read, uh, milling duty?" Marcus frowned at Lucan. He wasn't even holding a piece of paper! Lucan noticed and said, "I...guess not. So, mining duty, huh? You mean...underground...where the...undead are?"

Marcus sighed. He needed a break. "You'll be protected by a guard. Just like every other miner. There's no need to worry, Lucan." But everyone does. Everyone looks for an excuse to not go mining.

"Actually...I'm feeling much safer here in jail!" Lucan stated, then proceeded to reach for the cake again. "Say, uh, what about road repair duty? Or home animal domestica—"

Marcus stopped Lucan's hand with his own, becoming annoyed. "This isn't a request, it's and assignment. You how how things are. Mines are getting dry, resources are getting scarce. We're being forced to mine deeper into the dangers that lie below."

Lucan scowled. He leaned forward and spat, "If you wanted to kill me, we could have just gone with an execution!" Then he stormed out.

Marcus sighed and turned back to his cake.

He should have known that Lucan would have taken the majority of it.

...

I AM BAKKKKKKK!!! Ok dis chapter was short, bUt bE gRaTeFuL lOl