20. Arriving at Du

Two days later when Yu Qiao Bai was good as new, the quatro bid their goodbye to Wang Li and set off towards the kingdom of Du.

As this time, nobody was poisoned or destined to die, the journey was a pleasant one. Interestingly, now they were two couples, so they could even regard the journey back home as a kind of honeymoon.

Chun Hua and Dong Feng got used to moving forward while Yu Qiao Bai and Du YuShi followed them behind. After that certain night, the prince of Du was much more soft with the prince of Yu, meanwhile the latter was bolder with his actions. Openly, he was touching Du YuShi's hands, hair, even face, not missing any opportunity. At nights, he was always sleeping next to his lover and saying he was cold so that Du YuShi could circle an arm around him.

Like that, the couples reached the border where Wu Bo and Ren Jing were waiting for them with two carriages.

"You look a lot better, did you gain weight?" Wu Bo teased Yu Qiao Bai when they sat around a fire.

"Indeed, I stopped getting poisoned and the effect is incredible," Yu Qiao Bai joined the teasing happily. These men were Du YuShi's family, so they became his family as well.

They chuckled and teased each other a bit more before getting down to the important matters.

"The King is faithful to his words, he didn't send any soldiers to find you, but he is waiting for you to come by your own feet. Fu Jian and Hua Suo still stick around the palace and get the news from the princess. Apparently, the king is still a bit angry, but the princess threatened him to leave with you if he doesn't grant your wish," Ren Jing summarized everything that had happened when they were in Yang.

"Can it be a trap?" Dong Feng asked with worry as for him, the king would never accept something like that easily.

"Father doesn't like playing games, if he said he won't touch Xiao Bai, he will keep his word," Du YuShi said firmly and Yu Qiao Bai was convinced.

After spending the night on the border, the group hit the road early in the morning. The more they moved forward, the livelier the kingdom got. Being in the kingdom of Du for the first time, Yu Qiao Bai and Chun Hua were looking around with excitement in their eyes, finding everything interesting.

Being good lovers, Du YuShi and Dong Feng were being sure that they were tasting specialties and enjoying the time they spent in the towns. Du YuShi also got them new robes with Du's custom color of dark blue. However, when he noticed they looked like a couple with those matching robes, he bought a lilac one for Chun Hua and got rid of the dark blue one.

Being fully aware of the attention and care he received from Du YuShi, Yu Qiao Bai was in constant bliss, his eyes brimming with happiness and love. As it was a complete turn of tables, every morning, he opened his eyes with fear that all was a dream.

Luckily, the group didn't encounter anything unfortunate on the road and managed to reach the palace of Du before too long.

"The prince, Du YuShi and the prince of Yu, Yu Qiao Bai arrived," the announcement was made and the doors of the main hall opened. Du YuShi darted a reassuring smile at Yu Qiao Bai, who was on the verge of fainting due to nervousness, and walked in with him.

"Father," Du YuShi bowed towards the king who was sitting five stairs above on a throne with his sister, Du Yue Jiao by his side.

"Greetings from Yu," Yu Qiao Bai mimicked his lover's act.

The king of Du shifted his gaze between them and tsk-ed. "When I sent you to Yu, this wasn't my intention," he said coldly, staring at his son.

"Well, what can I say? I thought I was there to bring a bride, so I did that," Du YuShi answered nonchalantly while Yu Qiao Bai flinched visibly.

The king puffed, "so, you really intend to marry him? The enemy and a man?"

"Yes father and he is not an enemy, it is just a misunderstanding."

"Yes sure," the king snorted, "what if I am against this marriage?"

Du YuShi stared at his father with determination in his eyes, "then we will become wanderers and will never come to Du again."

Not waiting for such a turn of events, Yu Qiao Bai threw a glance at his lover worriedly. Indeed, he loved the man with all his heart, but asking him to abandon his family and title was out of question.

"So, you are asking for your death?" the king shouted and suddenly attacked his own son with his sword.

As he couldn't counter attack his father, Du YuShi didn't move from his spot, accepting the blow, as if his lover would let that happen.

A clash was heard as Yu Qiao Bai stood between father and son, blocking the sword with his fan, shocking all three who were present in the room. He gently pushed the king a few steps back before kneeling in front of him.

"The fault is mine, please don't hurt your only son," he leaned his forehead on the floor, "you can continue with the initial plan and kill me as you wish, but please don't touch YuShi," he begged with a hoarse voice.

Du YuShi wanted to take his selfless lover out, but the agitated man refused, bowing again and again to the king who was shocked to his very core.

"Father, that's enough," Du Yue Jiao broke her father's trance.

"Stand up, child," the king commanded and Yu Qiao Bai obeyed with hesitation. Then he turned to his son, "you found a good one, his love for you is sincere."

Du YuShi squinted his eyes with confusion as he pulled his beloved behind himself, then he asked "what do you mean, father?"

"Father just wanted to test him a bit, but overdid it like usual," Yue Jiao summarized it for them and the king nodded with a slight apology present on his face.

"What?!" The lovers exchanged a glance before gaping at the king.

"I believed he seduced you so that he could save his life, so I wanted to show you that he was faking it," the king explained, "but he just threw himself in front of you, even wanted to die for you."

"So? Do you accept this marriage now?" Du YuShi asked with hope, unwittingly holding Yu Qiao Bai's arm tightly.

"Well, it is something that this kingdom had never witnessed, but there is a first time in everything. Actually, it can be a good opportunity to unite the kingdoms."

Hearing the king's words, the lovers beamed with happiness.

Later, Yue Jiao took Yu Qiao Bai for a tour in the palace while YuShi told his father about the actual story of his mother's death. The king chose to believe Yu Qiao Bai's story and decided to let go of his grudge.

The same day, Du YuShi sent a message to Yu palace, informing them about the happenings and asking their consent for their marriage.

Yu royal family couldn't be happier at the news. Wholeheartedly, they gave their consent and asked them to visit them at Yu at least for once.

With that the preparation for the marriage officially started.