Chapter 9: Altercation

[CW: Domestic Abuse]

Hinata tried to close the door, but the man was too fast and too strong and easily pushed his way in. Hinata's fear spiked horribly and he backed away from the intruder, looking frantically for any weapon he could grab.

"What do you want?"

The man answered almost conversationally, "I want to see my daughter."

"She's not here, so leave."

Natsu's father gave Hinata a nasty smile. "Is that any way to talk to me, Shoyo? You haven't seen me in years. Aren't you going to ask how I've been?"

Hinata's former stepfather, Kobayashi Hansuke, was in his late thirties. He was well dressed in dress slacks and a light blue dress shirt with polished black shoes. His blond hair was cut short and he was clean-shaven. Some might consider him handsome, but only if they were too blind to see the cruelty in his eyes. Hinata had never understood why his mother had married this monster. It had been four years of hell for all of them.

Hinata was still searching the room for something to hit Kobayashi with, if it came to that, and wondering if he had time to make it to the lamp, when the blond man spoke again.

"Come on, Shoyo. You're not making this a happy reunion for us."

"Just leave. She's not here. You can't possibly want anything with me."

"I wanted to talk to you. I heard about your mother," Kobayashi said almost cruelly.

Hinata glared at him, refusing to let him tear open that wound. He would not give him the satisfaction of a reply. He changed the subject instead.

"How did you find us?"

He shrugged nonchalantly and dismissed the question. "I have my ways. I was in Okayama until a few months ago. When I came back to town I heard what had happened from a friend." His tone turned taunting. "Poor, Shoyo."

Hinata silently cursed the older man, but refused to take the bait. He just wanted him to leave, to get back out of their lives and never come back again. He remained silent and further gauged the distance to the lamp. If he attacked, Hinata was prepared to fight him off.

"So where's my daughter?" Kobayashi asked again, taking another step closer to Hinata.

"She's at a friend's."

"I'll just wait here until she gets back. You and I can catch up," he added with a sneer.

"She's not coming home tonight. It's a sleepover. So just leave, Kobayashi."

"I'm not going anywhere until I see Natsu. I bet you're lying just to get rid of me. You always were causing trouble, getting in between me and your mother. You always were a lying little bitch."

Kobayashi took another menacing step forward and Hinata was terrified and just about to dive for the lamp, when he heard a deep voice from across the room.

"I believe you were asked to leave."

Kobayashi swung around to face Kageyama. He was standing just inside the door, feet spread slightly, and although his arms were crossed casually in front of him, the look on his face was far from relaxed. His jaw was clenched and his eyes pinned the older man with a deadly stare.

"Who the hell are you?" Kobayashi snarled.

"The one who's going to toss you out on your ass if you don't leave now."

Kobayashi turned back to Hinata and practically spit at him, "Who's this? Your boyfriend?"

Kageyama answered, "None of your fucking business. Now, get the fuck out before I give in to my urge to beat the shit out of you."