Jackson, Train Him: "With you always"

I'll cross my heart and hope to die
We're always and forever, I'll be by your side
When days are dark and stars don't line
We're always and forever 'til the end
The end of time
------------------------------------------------

40 Years Later
Artemis POV

Today was another of those relaxation days. All the girls were in the lake, playing with water, as Percy kept watch from a branch of a tree while I sat beneath it, looking at the girls with amusement. Percy kept his promise of never letting me out of sight. Even though I did prefer privacy, I couldn't deny the fact that not only me but the whole Hunt felt much safer when he kept watch. Over the years, my feelings for him only grew as he helped with everything that I ever needed. From a simple crush at first sight, to liking him, to adoring him, and now I don't regret saying that I am head over heels in love with this man. Yes, I, Phoebe Artemis, sworn maiden and man-hater of Olympus was in love with Perseus Achilles Jackson. I chuckled remembering how he got his last name, or more like how we made one for him.

FLASHBACK

It was well past dinnertime as the Hunt sat beside the campfire. After a month-long hunt for the Erymanthian Boar, they were having their first break. All of us, well except me and to some extent Percy too, were exhausted. But did not provide any hindrance or resistance to celebrate their break. Percy was in the kitchen, preparing his famous sherbet for the hunters and Nectar for me and himself. Once he had achieved the status of an Olympian, he could consume ambrosia and nectar in any amount without burning up while still being a mortal.

As I sat with the girls, the Apollo girls suddenly came up with the idea of having a singing/music contest among the hunters. Percy, obviously wouldn't participate, seeing that much like his swordsmanship and archery, his music skills were unmatched and were right up there with Apollo, though nobody except me knew that he could sing as well. So instead Percy would be the judge, and to end the contest, he would play his flute. 

Just as the rules for the contest were laid out, said judge walked out of the kitchen tent with sherbet and nectar swirling around him and a lot of glasses in his arms. He was quite lazy that way, he would always use his powers if he could. He swiftly served the drinks and sat down in his usual spot beside me, only to realize that he had 50 pairs of eyes on him.

"Uhm...did I miss something?" he asked, squirming under the gaze. Everybody burst out laughing before collecting themselves. "We are just having a music contest Percy. You will not participate but be the judge. And will play the flute as the last performance. Savvy?" said Zoe. Percy nodded and smiled, "Ok ok. So when is it starting?"

"It is starting right now. Percy, the first contestant is Atlanta Elias, announce her name and start it off" Zoe guided him. Everyone stood up and took a few steps back from the campfire, creating an amphitheater-like space for the performances. "Ladies, welcome Atlanta Elias, to start off the contest. Winner gets 1 week off from chores" Percy announced from the center as Atlanta approached with a lyre. 

Slowly, over the next hour, everyone had performed. Just as I thought Percy would be announcing the winner, his voice called out, "Ladies, please welcome Phoebe Artemis, our last contestant."  I looked like a deer caught in a trap. For all I could do, I never tried music or singing myself. I glared at Percy but he just smirked and cheered along with the hunters. Sighing in defeat, I trudged to the center, beside the campfire. I pondered for a minute and decided to sing the one song I had memorized. 

As I finished singing the lullaby that Percy sang to me whenever I couldn't sleep, the whole Hunt burst into rounds of thunderous applause. "Wow Milady, I didn't know you could sing" Zoe said as the others nodded their approval. I blushed in embarrassment. "Well the one who taught me sings this much better than Apollo could ever imagine" I said, looking at Percy. He was grinning at me and had a twinkle of pride in his trident eyes. "I guess I don't even have to tell that Artemis has won this contest" he said, smiling that heart-melting smile that I had fallen for. "And it's pretty late so we should go to sleep" he continued and tried to head off, that is, tried.