Chapter 35

Charlottes PoV

The pack doctor was convinced that Asher was a fox. He didn't think that a wolf would have been able to survive the wolfsbane that he was exposed to.
Adam and I were happy either way, it didn't matter to us what he was.
We were now managing our work/life balance a lot better.
Asher was like a dream child. He enjoyed napping, slept through the night after the first few weeks and was even very settled when we were working. He just likes being able to see us.
Adam and I could work in the office and Asher entertained himself in there too.

I put my pen down and rested my aching head in my hands. Adam and I were tying up any loose ends after we defeated my old pack. There were unfortunately a couple of funerals to arrange, some orphaned children from my old pack still needed homes and I was still concerned about the whereabouts of Alpha Roberts.
Adam assured me that he was dead and wanted to concentrate on other matters.
I could see Adam was quite stressed. His face was screwed into a frown. Suddenly he slammed his pen on the table and growled in anger.
"Shhhh" I glared at him before glancing to check on Asher. Fortunately he never seemed upset when Adam growled like that.
"Come on, let's leave this tonight and come back to it tomorrow. We're nearly sorted now" I attempted to reassure him.
He let out a deep sigh.
"I just need a walk to calm down. You put Asher to bed and I'll be up shortly."
He immediately stood up and stormed out of the room.
I sighed and picked up my baby.
"Come on Ash. It's bedtime"
I took him upstairs and began to get him ready for bed. We did get out a picture book before bed and I read to him whilst he grinned and pointed at the pictures.
Asher eventually drifted off to sleep and I climbed into bed myself.
I lay awake for a while thinking about Adam.
Recently he was always taking himself off for a 'walk'. He had never done that before. Usually I would give him a hug to help calm him down, but recently he always wanted to be alone.
I did have an uneasy feeling in my stomach but I pushed it aside. I trusted my mate.
I did drift off to sleep myself.
At some point in the night I heard Adam come in and jump in the shower.
I held back tears as my mind wandered. Where was he going at night? And why did he need to shower each time he came home?
I felt the bed dip as Adam climbed in but I kept my eyes squeezed shut. My throat hurt as I held in tears.
I put my mental wall up and silently cried myself to sleep.

A/N
We are reaching the end of this book. I might make a sequel, but I haven't decided yet!