Ch. 3 - Explosion

WHEN LUNCH TIME came around, I was already exhausted and I still have football practice after school

WHEN LUNCH TIME came around, I was already exhausted and I still have football practice after school. I walked in the cafeteria with Nick and Elliot, and we got our food. We sat down at our usual table, waiting for everybody else to join.

"Who called you earlier?" Nick asked me before taking a bite of his food.

I shrugged,"A random person who was trying to sell me a car."

Nick nodded and Elliot asked,"You got plans Saturday?"

"I have to watch Vanessa."

"Maybe Mom can take her with them since they going to the mall," Nick suggested as the rest of the boys sat down at the table.

"Maybe," I said, poking my green beans with my fork.

As the boys started to talk about their classes, the girls sat down, causing me to look up. The girls sat beside their boyfriends, leaving one open seat next to me. Campbell sat down beside me, and she opened her water bottle.

I went back to looking at my plate, not knowing what to say to her. Usually, I'm not like this. I can start a conversation with a brick wall.

I glanced over at her to see her looking around the lunch room, nervously. I looked to see almost everybody glancing towards our table and whispering to their friends.

I am so going to kill Nick and the other boys.

They didn't give Campbell a heads up about our popularity. If I knew they didn't tell her, I would have prepared her.

"Why is everybody staring at me like I'm an animal?" Campbell asked Anna, who was sitting beside her.

She finished her food in her mouth before talking. "They'll stop looking in a few days."

"Few days? Is the town that small?" She asked with a worried look on her face.

"Technically, it's the boys fault," Madison pointed out.

"Don't blame us for this," Nick said, before taking a sip of his milk.

"I'm confused," she told them with a shake of her head.

"The boys, here, are like celebrities," Nichole said, glancing over at us.

"That's the understatement of the year," Gaberial argued, crossing his arms over his chest.

"If you yelled out that you wanted a girlfriend, girls would be standing in line for you faster than you could finish the word girlfriend," Nichole remarked, batting her eyelashes.

She's right.

"That's a lie because I would never shout in public. My mother taught me manners," Gaberial told her, making me Nick stifle a laugh.

"People started to call us The Kings because of our popularity," I commented, making Campbell look over at me.

"Yeah, we're like a boyband, except we...are not... a boyband," Nick said, confused at what he said.