Chapter 4

I watched my dad turn his back and walk towards his bedroom. I sat quietly with tears streaming down my face as my mum and sisters both broke down. I just sat on the couch with my back straight and a clog in my throat as my mum pulled a crying Charlie onto her lap and hugged Alex to her side. I breathed in slowly and considered going to my dad. But he was never one to show emotion, that's why he left the room. To break down in private.

There was a knock on the door to which my mother ignored. I assumed it would be the police here to ask more questions. So I stood up, brushed myself off and slowly walked towards the front door. I could feel the dried tears and flecks of fallen mascara on my face but I didn't care. When I opened the door and saw who was standing there I didn't say a word.

"Haylie." Zach let out a breath as he stared at me, his eyes were red, probably because he had been crying over Scarlett like the rest of us. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking, I was just so fucking angry! I just did it." I just stared at him. Trying to control the hate I suddenly felt for him.

"You have real nerve. To stand at my door and apologise." I spat harshly. He tried to speak but I wouldn't let him. "I just had to lie to my dad about why his brothers dead!" I yelled in a whisper so my family wouldn't hear. "I had to lie to Scarlett's parents about why their daughter is dead." I let my tears fall as Zach winced.

"I've lost her too." He whispered in a pained voice. I shook my head shocked.

"Don't. Don't for a second compare my loss to yours." His eyes held so much hurt and pain but I didn't care anymore.

"Will killed Scarlett Hayls, he gave the order. What else was I supposed to do?" He pleaded for the answer.

"He was my uncle!" I still tried to keep quiet while I showed my anger. "No matter what he did, all the bad shit. He was my uncle. I loved him and you took him from me." Zach stayed quiet and watched me as I took in a shaky breath. When I didn't speak he did.

"I did what I had to do to protect everyone in that warehouse. Including you." He said sternly.

"No, you did what you did for yourself." I shot back quickly. "You did it for revenge. Because you had to watch another hunter take away another person you care about." I knew bringing up his family was a low blow but he took Will from me. "Don't come to my home stating that you killed my uncle for my benefit. It was about yourself. It's always been about yourself."

"Yes!" He suddenly yelled. Obviously not caring about my parents inside. "Yes Haylie I am selfish. I am selfish and I act irrationally. Because in my 23 years I've learnt that I'm the only one I can depend on." I stayed quiet while he started to pace my porch. "But I came here to beg for your forgiveness. To beg that, maybe not today, but one day we could go back to how we were. Because you are the one person that I can't stand to lose." he sighed and stared right into my eyes. "You've always been honest with me. So tell me the truth. Have I lost you forever?" I bit my lip as I stared at him.

"Whatever I felt for you before. It's gone." I told him truthfully. "Yes Zach you have lost me forever." I watched as his eyes started to glaze a little but not a single tear fell. "Oh and by the way... Never come anywhere near me or my family again." His eyes slowly started to leave mine and he looked to the floor. I shook my head before turning round and closing my front door. I knew he was still out there but I didn't care. I covered my mouth before falling to the ground in tears. They were dead. Scarlett and Will were dead.

After a few minutes I stood up and walked back into the living room. When I saw my mum and sisters still crying, I had no idea how to tell them. They wouldn't understand. They would hate me for doing this to them right now. I took in a deep breath and let my words out when I breathed out.