Part Two: Confirming the Truth

Sophie lead Elijah through the maze of above ground tombs to one that was unoccupied by the dead. It was located toward the back of the cemetery and had the soft yellow glow of candlelight ebbing out toward the entrance. Nobody else was around, not even other witches.

"The others have gone home for the night," Sophie explained, as they entered the tomb. "They are under Eternity's protection and feel safe enough to sleep tonight without worry of being murdered in their beds."

Elijah barely heard her. His focus was solely on the ethereal beauty that was inside. He could practically feel her presence, the warm light of her penetrating his cool flesh and warming him.

As he entered the tomb and drew into the same space as Eternity, his heart raced with anticipation as his eyes fell upon the glowing lady. She was turned facing away from the tomb doorway, so he couldn't see much of her.

Eternity was humming softly to herself as she swayed gently from side to side. Her hair swung with her movements as did the bottom of long lavender dress, slightly sweeping along the stone floor.

He couldn't yet see the proof of what Sophie had told him. He wanted to see it. He needed to see it.

Upon their nearness, Eternity abruptly ceased humming and swaying. Slowly, she turned to face them. She was as fluidly graceful in her movements as she always was. There was not even the slightest twitch she made that wasn't done in a perfectly smooth fashion.

"Elijah," she whispered, her voice sweetly melodious, despite the surprise coloring it, while her sapphire eyes widened in surprise.

Then her gaze fell to Sophie, an accusatory expression overtaking her disbelief of seeing him there. "What is this?"

"I'm so sorry," apologized the witch. "I didn't have a choice."

Elijah looked at Sophie curiously.

The tone with which she used was one of familiarity, as though this wasn't the first time meeting Eternity. Even her body language reflected this. Yet, the witch had said she hadn't been involved, and therefore, didn't know much about what was going on.

Clearly Miss Deveraux had lied. Even now, she was acting as if she was some sort of victim, which she was not. He may have threatened her, but it was she who had decided to willingly lead him into the cemetery.

Though, she was right: she hadn't had a choice in bringing him to Eternity. Elijah would have gladly executed his threat, if she hadn't relented on her own.

Eternity seemed to recognize her half truths, but the way her expression grew firm as she curtly nodded at Sophie, "Thank you, Miss Deveraux. You may go."

The witch quickly took her leave, leaving Elijah alone with the ethereal beauty. He watched as the pale lady laid her hand over her abdomen that was barely protruded, but would soon grow larger. With his heightened hearing, he secretively listened for the telltale sign that she was indeed with child.

Thump, thump.

Thump, thump.

There it was — a fetal heartbeat.

Eternity was indeed pregnant!

Though, he already knew that, the confirmation in that tiny sound made the truth all the more real to him. Whatever remained of his denial transformed into fierce paternal protectiveness for the baby. He'd kill anyone who tried to harm it. He already knew he would defend it with his very life.

"It's true," murmured Elijah in wonder. "You're carrying my child."

He looked up at Eternity in awe, while she gazed back at him with hostile disdain.