Chapter 109: Trouble

BUCKY

I wake up holding Maddie closely to me.

Steve is nestled behind her and my arm is around her neck, holding her face closely to my chest.

I feel her stir in my embrace and I plant a kiss on top of her head before moving down to face her.

"Hi," she says with a smile once my eyes meet hers.

I cup her cheek gently. 

"Hey," I say as I scan her face.

I like looking at her. I like looking at her blue eyes, her plump lips. The freckles on her face. I like seeing her long red hair splayed across her pillow and the bed.

She moves her gaze down to my chest and traces it lightly.

When I see a smirk paint her lips I chuckle, "What?"

"I made some art on you last night," she replies innocently, her eyes still focused on the spot on my torso.

I glance down and notice a purple mark right beneath my collarbone.

I laugh a little. "I did too," I reply before I move my metal hand to her neck, tracing the love bite I gave her last night.

Her eyes widen as her hand goes to cover mine, "You marked me?"

I chuckle, "Yeah, I did. You belong to me, don't you?"

She blushes. She's so fucking adorable I can't stand it.

"Yes, I do," she says with a smile, "But still. The neck is risky. That's why I did yours on your chest. That way you can still cover it."

I furrow my brows at her, "I don't want to cover it, though."

She looks up at me softly, "I know, James. But unless we're all ready to go public with this whole thing, I figured it would be best to do it in a spot where you can cover it. That way, you still know I claim you. And anyone who takes your shirt off will know I've claimed you. But Tony won't."

I chuckle, "Anyone who wants to take my shirt off?"

Her eyes dart down as she bites her lip.

I chuckle again as I caress her cheek, "So jealous."

She glares at me, "I have a reason to be jealous."

That makes me laugh louder, "Do you really?"

"Yes," she sternly replies. Then her hand goes back to caressing the mark on my chest before she continues, "You are mine. The world might not know, but I do. I won't share you with anyone. And anyone who tries to take you from me, I will fight."

I smile at her, "Fight, huh?"

She smiles at me cockily, "Yes. Fight. I'm very strong."

I laugh again, "Oh I know." 

STEVE

It's been a few days since Tony's party. Ever since we all talked, the dynamic between Madeline, Bucky and I has been much better. We still spend most of our time together but it's nice to have the option to do something else if it's needed. 

On Thursday I wake up to my phone going off. I've been expecting this. Sam still hasn't come back and it was starting to worry me. 

Tony: Suit up. We need everyone, Wilson's in trouble. We leave in 30. 

I turn to Maddie next to me. She's snuggled up in Buck's embrace and I touch her arm gently. 

"Baby, we need to get up. Something's happened. We're leaving for a mission in 30 minutes."