eighteen. calm before the storm

eighteen
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇
calm before the storm

eighteen⋇⋆✦⋆⋇↳ calm before the storm ↲

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C. It was a far step, and an even longer one by foot. With nothing but our own shoes to carry us on miles of road, the group - counting myself, became torpid. The hunger, the thirst; it hadn't come quick, but when it did, it hovered above our heads like a rain cloud. Crumpling our throats with thirst, drying up our muscles until they became sore.

Behind, few dead had already began to forge out for a meal, landing on the sight of all us. The walkers slowly trailed after, like added members of the group, silently taunting with their presence as they shuffled along. They hadn't been an issue, yet. Their slowed speed couldn't compare to our walking pace, hence, making the mindless creatures the least of our worries.

"You know," Noah began, keeping up with my steps as he looked to both Carl and I, "Its not so bad if you close your eyes. Swallow, tip your head back, and imagine taking a sip of water."

"It's spit. That won't help anything." I stated.

Noah tossed his arms to the air, before placing them on his head, and tilting his chin up. "Just pretend. Don't ruin it."

He had lost everything back in Richmond. The boy was supposed to reunite with mom, and his two brothers, all of which he had told me about previously. But, after they came back empty handed, it wasn't hard to imagine what he had found. The first night after Tyreese's and Beth's service, all he did for hours was wallow in silent grieving pain, until I swore he would never talk again. In the morning, he was back on his feet, forced to live the day as if it were any normal one.

In truth, it was any normal one. Our daily routine currently consisted of the following; wake up, walk, and accept the deaths passing by so rapidly. We all wondered who was next, or fretted that maybe all of us were.

The weather in Virginia had taken action in the past days, the dirt sucking any bit of moisture from everything around. The leaves dried up like they did during autumn, only, It was much too hot for the season by now. Anything that had been covered in mushy green moss before, was crumpled into a wilting disease, turning the endless streets, shades of warmer colors.