He nods. "Yes, for now. I'll come back in a few minutes to check on him again."

"Thank you," Erwin says, nodding again. The doctor grabs his bag, shoots you one last look, then disappears out of the tent. The commander glances down at Mike, then up at you. "Logan. Report."

You tighten your fist in your salute and swallow. "We heard the titans coming and the squad leaders split us up to evacuate the nearby towns," you say quickly. "I was put in a squad with a few other trainees, led by Nanaba. We headed south east to evacuate the villages, then the plan was to head to Wall Rose and look for the breach."

Your throat suddenly tightens. "Squad Leader Mike has initially split off to occupy the titans," you continue. "I- I offered to return to the settlement that we were at to check up on him."

"You abandoned your squad?" Levi asks.

You shake your head. "No. I received permission from Squad Leader Nanaba to go. We- We only had one more village to evacuate and it only had fifty people, so I was sure they could handle it without me."

"South east," Erwin repeats. "Isn't that where your family's village is located?"

You want to shrink into the ground. Of course he's already put the pieces together. "That was the last place they had to go," you say stiffly. "They didn't need me to clear it."

Levi looks like he's about to say something, but Erwin raises a hand to quiet him. "Continue. You left to find Mike?"

"Yes. When I got there, his legs were in the mouth of a titan and there were two more pulling at his head and arms." The image is going to be forever etched in your mind. "I killed the titans, wrapped his legs, then found a cart so that I could get him to the help he needed."

Erwin's eyes feel like they're drilling into your soul. "That's not all," he says.

It's a statement, not a question. You swallow hard. "There was a fourth titan," you say quietly. "It was huge, maybe slightly larger than Eren in his titan form, and covered head to toe in hair. When I got there, it was walking away, and it was holding something..." The pieces click in your head. Mike's gear. "It had his gear," you say. "It was carrying his gear."

Both men seem surprised. "It didn't attack?" Levi asks.

"Carrying gear," Erwin repeats.

You nod. "And when I got close enough, it- it spoke. I think it said 'you can move now', and then the titans moved forward to go eat Mike."

"So they were stationary before?" the commander asks, and you nod, inwardly hitting yourself for not starting with that detail. "And the titan told them they could move, and they did? He talked and took Mike's gear?"

"Talking isn't unheard of," Levi murmurs. "Remember Ilse Langnar?"

"I do," Erwin says. You have no idea who they're talking about, but neither of them stop to tell you. "I think that titan may be intelligent," the blond man muses. "No normal titan instincts, and controlling other titans. And what use would it have for ODM gear-"

"Unless there was a human inside," Levi finishes.

There's a heavy silence, and the implications of Mike's encounter with the fur-covered titan and starting to weigh down on you. There's another enemy. The armored, the colossal, and now the beast. How many more are going to come at you? How many more are there?

There's a grunt from Mike's bed, and all three of you turn. "Mike," Erwin says, kneeling down beside his bedside.

Mike groans, bringing a hand up to his face. "What a nightmare," he mutters. He opens his eyes and glances around, taking in his surroundings. His eyes flash from Erwin to you to Levi, and then down to his legs, and you can see his face melt. "Not a nightmare."