Alpha Tamhas

Note to the reader: Alpha Tamhas has a very thick accent.  Don't worry if you can't understand, I tried to make the important parts clear in the rest of the dialog.  If you're up for a challenge though, think of Scottie on Star Trek and see if you can hear his voice, although meaner than Scottie.

Even though he had the dark shadow of a day-old beard along his jaw, Cliff looked much younger when he was asleep. She would have never done it when he was awake, but she reached forward to touch the stubble, curious if it was soft like some of the books she'd read claimed or if it was scratchy like it looked.

"You haven't woken him yet?"

Aiyana jerked her hand back guiltily.

"Not yet." She pulled up a smile and turned to Mimi, searching the Luna's face for signs that she'd seen. "He's so calm and quiet when he's asleep."

Mimi squinted at her. "Did you two have a fight or something? Is that why he ran off last night?"

"He...," she didn't want Cliff to get in trouble. "Not exactly."

"Well," Mimi said, setting down the tray she was carrying, "I brought him breakfast. You should wake him before it gets cold."

"I'll do it right now."

She turned back to Cliff and took his hand. Coercing people seemed easier when she was touching them. "Wake up Cliff."

He sucked in a deep breath and opened his eyes, then looked around. A broad smile broke out across his face when he saw sun-filled window. "It's morning?"

"Yeah."

He looked at her with one eyebrow up. "Did you make me sleep all night?"

She shrugged guiltily. "Well, it took a couple of hours to fix your foot and I thought it would be easier to keep you still while you were asleep, so I did."

"What if I need to use the bathroom?"

"Oh, we have crutches, but you have to be very careful and don't let your foot touch anything for several more hours. Don't even wiggle your toes if you can help it. I can get Alpha Miguel if you need help."

He grabbed her hand before she could go. "I don't need to go. I just wanted to see what you'd say."

She rolled her eyes at him as she pulled her hand away. "Mimi just brought you breakfast. Do you need any help adjusting the bed or do you know how to do it?"

"I remember," he sighed. "Was someone else here last night?" he asked, indicating the unmade second bed with a nod.

"I was. Someone had to keep an eye on you in case you shifted in your sleep or something."

He focused his dark eyes on her again. "That was kind of you."

She shrugged. "It's my job."

"Listen Aiyana, about last night..."

A door slammed near the front of the house. A few seconds later someone screamed. Her wolf sprang awake inside of her.  "Don't move Cliff. I'll see what's going on."

He lunged and grabbed her hand before she could get away. "No. Lock the door. I know what's going on."

"What?"

His lips were moving like they were trying to open, but it looked like something was holding them shut. After a moment, he grunted and they finally did open. "Use your coercion to make me tell you about last night. It has to be strong."