Memories

The sun pouring in through the window woke her. Sunshine, finally. She didn't mind rain, but she didn't like riding around in it either. She scooted down to the foot of her bed and opened the window. The damp earth and freshly-washed plant life smelled glorious even over the smell of the wet brick and cement that dipped two stories beneath her room. Spring was definitely her favorite time of year. If she didn't have a class to go to, she'd go for a long jog before it got steamy.

She quickly dressed, downed a couple of pop-tarts and a swig of milk from the small refrigerator in the bottom of her closet, and threw on her backpack. At the bottom of the stairs, instead of turning toward the front desk, she turned toward the men's wing on the first floor to take the shortcut out the side exit.

"Hey Aiyana!"

She looked back over her shoulder. Michael was standing by the front door giving her a come-hither wave. Strange. Until two days ago he'd never paid her any attention.

She shook her head. "I have to go to class," she yelled as quietly as she could while pointing at the door. Half the students were probably still in bed.

He waved like he was trying to pull her closer. "You have a visitor."

A visitor? Who would visit her at this time in the morning on a Tuesday? She turned away from her shorter exit and toward the front door. She could talk for a few minutes and then jog to class, or maybe whoever it was wouldn't mind walking with her.

The furry face of a large gray and white wolf with a bandaged head was pressed up against the glass on the front door. He looked so silly, a giggle escaped her. He dropped down to all fours as she pushed open the door.

"Nate, what are you doing here?"

He whined and clawed at the cement. "All right, follow me."

"What does he want?" Michael asked behind her.

"To play in the sand I think. He's a rather silly dog."

"He doesn't look silly. You should get him a leash. There's a law."

She didn't have a leash. Maybe a belt would work. Oh, duh. "Can I check out one of the jump ropes?"

"Sure."

Time was ticking. She was going to be late, but she couldn't take Nate to class with her, could she? Maybe if she sat in the back. Hopefully there was no one in the class allergic to dogs.  

She led him away from the door and Michael's prying eyes before making a loop in the rope big enough for Nate's head. "Will you wear this for me so we don't scare anyone?"

He touched the rope with his nose and she slipped it over his head.

"I'm running late for class. Can the answer to my question wait or is there an emergency?"