Chapter 32 - Knox

Start from the beginning

Cavallo leans down into Ferrera's face, his expression stoic. "Don't tell me you're going where I think you are—that you intend to be boss now. Is that what you think is going to happen?"

"You practically put the opportunity in my lap. It was awfully convenient that you decided to work with Marino and allow me to kill two birds with one stone. Your father would have never made that mistake."

"You're the one who burned this place down. This is in your hands."

"And who will believe that? You may be boss but I have been consigliere far longer. It's my word, stronzo."

Cavallo throws another punch that results in a soft snap. Ferrera readjusts his head as if Cavallo didn't just crack his jaw, as if the pain is non-existent to him. Jesus, he's a sick bastard.

"Maria." I stiffen when he takes my wife's name, looking past my shoulder to where I know she stands behind me. "Come here, principessa."

I throw an arm out and hold her right where she is, growling, "Like hell, you fuck."

"Maria," he repeats calmly, ignoring me.

I'm unprepared for the force Mariana moves me away with, stumbling in surprise when she charges past me and stalks up to him.

"You nearly shot me," her voice quivers. I can't see her face but I can hear the rage and anguish in her voice. "You're not who I thought you were. Go to hell."

Ferrera's eyes narrow. "You will not speak to your father this way."

His head snaps to the side and it takes a second to register what happened. Mariana slapped him.

"Don't," she seethes. "Ever, call me your blood. You are not my anything."

Slowly, carefully, Ferrera turns his head to face Mariana again.

My only solace in the past has been knowing that Ferrera would never hurt his daughters, insane as that is. He would do and has done many vile things but his daughters were never to be touched or involved. That was a definite bet, and the only reason I pushed him past his limitations when it came to them. I knew he'd never hurt them.

I see the exact moment that changes.

His eyes darken, shutter. His jaw locks, ticks. A cold smile forms on his lips and the look in his gaze is so deranged that the back of my neck breaks out into a cold sweat. Instinct takes over and I grab Mariana's hand to pull her back, shielding her body with mine once again. The air shifts and crackles with the danger radiating off Ferrera and in this moment I finally understand what kind of man he is. The monster he is capable of being.

No one is prepared.

Ferrera kicks a leg out and nails Axel in the gut, who doubles over, unprepared. Cavallo charges to him immediately but Ferrera moves faster. He gets to his feet and slams his shoulder into Cavallo's body, taking him down. He lets out a scream as he rips his binds apart to free his wrists and swipes Cavallo's gun off of him in the next breath.

"Get down!" I yell at Mariana and yank my gun out just as she goes down on the ground and crawls over to Axel.

I fire at Ferrera, bullet after bullet, that the bastard somehow manages to evade. He shoots back at me with a precision that startles me. I didn't expect him to be a good shot, nor did I expect him to send a bullet neatly through my shoulder.

"Fuck!" The gun drops from my hand when pain explodes down my arm like a raging fire. My limb burns, my hand spasms, and I know I can no longer shoot with it. "Damn it!"