Chapter 21

Just a little disclaimer, I believe this is one of the longest chapters I've written.

Song Recommendations
- Run Boy Run by Woodkid
- After Dark by Mr. Kitty
- Way Down We Go (stripped) by KALEO
- Broken Bones by KALEO

(The last one was recommended by my friend and it fits AMAZINGLY)

———

Shock is a terrible feeling.

My head felt cloudy, my hands balled into fists at my sides as I struggled to even have a simple thought in my brain that made sense. There were little words I thought of, ideas and people, but nonetheless, I could never seem to put them into genuine thoughts or ideas.

Dabi.
Underground quirk fighting.
Pills.
Izuku.
My father.
The disappointment.

I stayed a few feet behind Dabi, watching his long coat dance in the wind behind his slow feet. It made so much sense now, his lingering presence and dawning words from when we had been kidnapped. Finally, I had somebody to ask questions.

I coughed, glancing up at the back of his head as he slightly perked up to signal I had his attention. Slowly, I spoke. "At the hospital... you sent somebody in to mess with me, didn't you?" I asked.

"Your mom had planned prior to you even getting into the hospital. If you didn't die or give in? She wanted us to give you hell for it," he replied.

"And... are you planning more attacks?"

"No."

"Why?" I wondered.

"Don't worry about it."

"Okay..." I sighed. "So, why send Toga? He said Toga was the one messing with him in the hallway, so why send Toga of all people? Why wouldn't you come and set me on fire?"

"Toga looked up to your mom in some sort of way that Shigaraki looked up to that freak. Your mom asked her to carry out those orders so that's exactly what she did. I didn't have anything to do with those two," He scoffed, shaking his head as he kicked at a rock and sent it hurtling down the street before falling loudly to the ground.

"Is my mom the one who beat me?" I asked. "Or was it you?"

He stopped, the wind whisking through his jacket so loudly that it made a loud snapping sound. He rolled his neck, popping it before rolling his shoulders back and jutting his hands into his pockets.

I took that as my answer.

"So did you feel bad? Did you feel anything when she beat me? Do you... do you feel anything, Dabi?"

"Don't try to act like a grown-up. I thought you and I came down here to fight, not have a heart-to-heart in the alleyway of an abandoned bar," He snapped harshly.

"Fair enough," I agreed. "They can't know it's me. You understand that, right? If they find out Asami Yagi, daughter of All Might is down here, they'll kill me faster than-"

"Faster than I can?" He sounded like he was smiling, wandering past the stairwell we took to the arena as he turned left and into an even smaller and darker alleyway. I didn't continue with the conversation, following after him as we slipped under a half-burned door and into what seemed like an abandoned restaurant. The floors were tile, glass from shattered windows and doors all over as dust collected heavily on the abandoned tables and chairs.

He led me through the long aisle of seating, past the checkout desk, and into the kitchen. Everything was burned, melting, and reeking of burnt metal. He stood there proudly, eyeing all of it.