He gave a friendly smile as if is this was normal talk, and I raised an eyebrow.

"Kani, don't worry about filling out next of kin or funeral arrangements," Gandalf told me.

"Okay."

"Well, surely she has to have somebody-" Thorin began but he trailed off as Gandalf shot him a quick glare.

I quickly read through the contract and was more than happy to sign it.

"Does anybody have a quill?" I asked. More or less my question was directed at Bilbo but I soon realized he was quite engrossed in the words on his paper. "Bilbo?"

"Injuries may include but are not limited to laceration, abrasion, and incineration," Bilbo read aloud.

"Well, you never know what might happen when you're facing a dragon!" Bofur exclaimed.

"He is quite right, Bilbo," Gandalf said.

Bilbo began to stutter and his speech soon became incoherent. As he spluttered about how he couldn't possibly sign the contract, I made a quill materialize and autographed my own contract.

"And what is this!" Bilbo nearly yelled. "Burglar? I would be your burglar?!"

"Well, yes," Gandalf said. "Hobbits are extraordinarily light on their feet so for stealth purposes you're perfect. Meaning if we need you to possibly steal something chances are no one will notice."

"W-what? I've never stolen a thing in my entire life!" Bilbo shouted.

"I told you we shouldn't have made him our burglar," Thorin mumbled.

Bilbo nodded.

"I completely agree. In fact, I really don't think I should be part of your group at all."

Thorin looked like he was about to say something but I guess he decided against it.

"What are you?" Bilbo asked me. "What's your title?"

I scanned my contract to find out and when I discovered it my eyes widened. Apparently, I had unintentionally glossed over that section.

"'Distracter, also known as the Bait'," I quoted. "What exactly does that mean? That you'll send me out in front of a heard of orcs and as they're brutally slaughtering me the rest of you will make a great escape?"

"No, Kani," Gandalf said sternly. "You have more powers than you know, my dear. You have the power to lead our enemies astray. The power to give them a false trail. You have the power to take them down with a single spell or charm. We may need to prepare for battle and you are the only one who can buy us more time without being in any real danger."

Even though I knew Gandalf was right, I still pondered on what he had just said. I knew with different enchantments I could confuse any enemies we might run into. I knew I had the ability to fly and moreover I had the ability to be in one place one moment and appear in a totally different place the next.

"Okay," I finally said. "Who do I give my contract to?"

"I'll take it," Balin replied. "Thank you."

Bilbo had been quiet for a long time and we soon turned our attention towards him.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

But then suddenly Bilbo collapsed onto the floor. A majority of the dwarves burst out laughing but I didn't particularly find it amusing. I knelt beside Bilbo and gently ran one finger from his forehead down to his chin, waking him up. His eyes shot open and he looked confused.

"What happened?" Bilbo inquired.

"You passed out for a few seconds."

"Oh."

"Bilbo, why don't we go talk in the living room?" Gandalf suggested.

I stood up quickly and then helped Bilbo up before Gandalf pulled him away. That just left me staring awkwardly at the dwarves. I flipped my long brown hair behind my shoulders and rocked back and forth on my feet, waiting for some kind soul to break the silence.

"So, what's it like being a witch?" Fili asked.

Really? But it was better than more silence.

"Um...it's interesting. Fun at times but I have to deal with a lot of misconceptions."

"Such as?"

"Not all witches are old and evil hags."

"No they aren't," Kili said. "Some witches appear to be young and quite beautiful."

"I agree," Fili added.

I wasn't sure how red my face was, but I knew I was blushing. Thorin kind of shook his head and I think perhaps the environment had become even more uncomfortable than when it had been silent. I tried to backtrack a bit.

"I come from a long line of healers," I said. "Of course there's been some of us who have gone astray."

"How do you go about healing someone?" Fili asked.

"It depends on the person...on their injury. It might be a spell or maybe a plant or a herb."

Just then Bilbo came stomping out of the living room furiously shaking his head. He stopped in front of us abruptly and sighed.

"Listen, you're all very nice people and I hope you are successful on your journey, but I won't be joining you. As some of you have made it clear, I am not cut out for this. I'm going to bed now. Please just make yourselves comfortable. It was nice meeting you all."

"Bilbo, wait," I said as he turned to leave. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Trust me when I say you will better off without me."

"If it means anything, I don't think that's true."

"Well, thank you, Kani."

"It really was lovely meeting you, Bilbo."

"You, too."

I leaned down and kissed his cheek.

"Sleep well."

Then he was gone but something told me I would be seeing him again. Just then Gandalf came out of the living room.

"Kani, let's see if we can get you something to eat," he said.

"We made sure to leave you some soup and some bread," Thorin added.

"Thank you."

"Gandalf, we'll be in the living room," Thorin said.

Gandalf nodded and then he lead me into the dining room. He quickly ladled out some soup from a big pot for me and the handed me what appeared to be the last roll. Then he and I sat down opposite of each other.

"Did you eat all of Bilbo's food?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied simply. "But I'm not sure there will be any need to replenish it."

"Do you really think he'll join us?"

"Of course."

"Me too. He and I can be the outsiders. I know Thorin was talking to you about me earlier."

"Don't worry about him, Kani. He will come around. Just give him some time."

I nodded and then ate my food. Once again it was silent for a few minutes but then a beautiful sound emerged from the living room. The dwarves began to sing a somewhat solemn melody but their voices blended together so perfectly. It reminded me of when my father used to sing to me and a wave of comfort washed over me.

After I finished my meal, Gandalf and I went to join the dwarves. We all agreed that we needed to get some sleep and as I closed our eyes I knew all of us were thinking about what the coming day would bring.