4- Sawyer

I held my sister's hand, brought it to my lips, and prayed. "Liliana, please open your eyes. You're all I have left." I squeezed her hand, closed my eyes, and didn't even fight the tears wanting to fall down my cheeks.

"Any signs?" A nurse asked as she entered the room.

And by how quietly the nurse entered, I thought she was trying to sneak in, not wanting to interrupt my time with my sister.

I shook my head, wiping away the tears that made a mess of my face. "No. Nothing."

The nurse looked at the machines, checked Liliana's fluids, and then logged into the computer beside the bed, typing in whatever information she had about Liliana. "The doctor will be in to talk with you shortly," she informed.

My eyes shot open wide. I hope he's not coming to the room to have me do something I will never do. "The doctor's not going to ask that I pull the plug on her, is he?"

Her face softened. "The doctor will be in for a check-up, and then he'll go from there."

"I can't let her go. Not yet," I agonized. "She's a tough girl. I know she'll come out of this."

She forced a smile. And I'm sure it's because she's heard the same line numerous times.

Two weeks ago, when I left her with Travis, I begged her to stay with me.

I begged. And I begged. And I begged.

She was adamant she and Travis would be fine. She fucking assured me they'd be back to normal.

Now, look at her...

Broken bones-Face. Ribs. Arms. Fingers. And her legs.

Battered face.

Bruises cover her entire body-literally. She's black and blue from head to toe.

And. Liliana's in a fucking coma, fighting for her life. Living off machines-making it where the doctors are deciding her fate.

The doctor finally came into the room and headed straight over to Liliana. Looking at me, he said, "The nurse tells me there hasn't been any sign of movement. Is that right?"

I choked on the tears that returned to assault me and nodded instead of answering.

He brought out his pen, shined the light in her eyes, and tested her reflexes in her hand, trying to get her fingers to move.

Fucking nothing.

He looked at her more, then walked over to the wall and looked at her recent brain scan images. "Liliana still has significant swelling in the brain."

Even though I felt it was what he'd say, my stomach still fell to the ground. I still had hopes of a change-a good change.

But nope.

I looked at Liliana and sighed. Quietly telling her, "You can do this. Open those eyes, and let's go after this fucking asshole who did this to you. You need to come out of this a winner..." I looked at the doctor, begging, "There must be something you can do to get her to wake up. There has to be! She needs to take this jerk down and put him where he belongs. Clark County Jail, or even better. High Desert State Prison."

His face instantly softened, and he sighed, saying, "I understand what and how you're feeling. And if there were something my staff or I could do, we'd do it in a heartbeat."

"You don't understand how I feel!" I yelled, my arms flying in the air, then my left hand slapped over my heart, patting it as I shouted, "Nobody understands this but me!"