Chapter 16 - A Haunting Gang

Varian and Cassandra were trying their best not to panic. Cass looked at Varian and he was clearly thinking through all their options based on the look on his face.

"What you got?" Cassandra asked hoping for some crazy plan.

"Nothing! I think our best bet would be to warn Rapunzel. She is the queen after all and your best friend. So, she will believe us." Cassandra nodded knowing Varian was right. "But first, we should head back to the lab and I can finish the chemical compound that should break the chains."

"Wait, did you not make it today?" Cassandra asked shaking a bit while her heart was pounding out panic.

"No, I was a little occupied today..... I mean I didn't really mind hanging out with you though." He mumbled that last part.

Varian stopped blushing over what he said as he looked over to Cassandra and saw her scared. He put his hand on her shoulder and stopped her shaking but out of being startled, she looked at Varian.... Right into his eyes.

"Everything is going to be ok. We got this. We've dealt with worse." Varian said with a smile. "Would I lie to you, Cassie?"

Cass went from nervous to a smile. Then quickly to a smirk. "I'm not sure. I thought in relationships lying was the best way to go." She said in a smug tone.

"What?! No, you know I didn't mean it!!!" Varian started talking really quickly making it hard to understand him as he talks fast when he's flustered.

"I mean, I was just kidding back there of course I didn't mean it." Cassandra gave him a smile as she thought he looked really cute like this. "You know I didn't mean it. Right! I was just kidding I-" Cassandra kissed him on the cheek giving him a loss of words. He looked at her a little surprised.

Cassandra hadn't thought that through... but she went with it. She didn't hate it. "Well...." Cass said standing up out from behind the bush. "I think we should go to Rapunzel first." She said causing Varian to smile as he was still blushing and flustered.

Varian standing up next to her with wobbly legs still thinking about the kiss. "You win. Rapunzel's it is."

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

The doors to the throne room burst open and it's Cassandra and Varian. "Queen Rapunzel!!!!" Varian cried out while panicked and looking around the room for her.

She was sitting at the top of the stairs on the thrown. "Varian, Cass? Is everything ok?" She said setting down the book she was reading and stood up out of the thrown worried.

"No, your majesty!!!! THE MEN ARE BACK!!!! THEY'RE COMING FOR ME AND CASS!!!!" Varian shouted freaking out.

Rapunzel ran down the stairs to get closer to Varian and Cassandra. "Cass, is this t-true," Rapunzel asked scared.

"Yes, Raps they are coming for us.... Who knows what they will do to the kingdom if they don't get what they want." Cassandra said standing close to Varian also scared but not showing it as much.

"We have to warn everybody," Rapunzel said trying to think what is best for her kingdom.

"No! If we are lucky they will be in hiding to not draw attention," Varian said trying to think of their best way to get out of this. "If we warn everyone they will know we know that they are here. We want them to think they are a step ahead, so we can't just come out and say-"

Then behind all of them, a giant explosion occurred. Varian's instant response was to jump over to Cassandra and knock them under a table and Rapunzel was hit face on with it and it knocked her flying to the other side of the room.