Chapter 23: Keefe

I stood there, like an idiot, for what felt like an hour. But it was probably only like 10 minutes. Then the rebels hit. A guard found me. I wanted to know who the guard was to thank them, but all I could see of him was the small tuft of brown hair and bright blue eyes. As he pushed me in a safe room, I looked around, doing a slight head count. Yes, all the selected were here, King Grady, Queen Edaline, Prince James, (I gave her a brother, remember? Well I did 🙃) but no Sophie. I looked around again in a panic. Why wasn't she here? I tried to run over to the door, but some guards held me back. 

"Stop! The Princess is still out there!"

Queen Edaline walked over as she heard the commotion. She waved away the guards and placed a strong hand on my shoulder. Her hands looked so delicate but they knew hard work too. 

"Are you the boy my daughter has taken particular interest in?"

I slowly nodded in response. I knew I was being rude, but honestly, at the moment I couldn't care less. But Queen Edaline just smiled softly. 

"Please don't worry about Sophie."

I stared at her. Not worry? Sophie's her daughter! Why isn't she worried? The look in my eyes must've been clear, because she answered my question. 

"This has been happening for years. Sophie knows what to do."

My eyes glassed over. Years? How had Illéa not know about this?  But if I wasn't allowed out of the safe room, I was going to look for Sophie as soon as the rebels were gone.