July 18th (Kiribaku)

It was Katsuki's fault.

Of course it was.

He was always an issue, always a problem, always hurting people he cared about.

He was useless.

Selfish.

A monster.

A villain.

So he poured himself into his work. He lived out of spite. Just to prove them wrong. Spite kept him going.

Everyday the paperwork and the patrols and the trainings seemed to take his mind off of what happened. Only for a little bit. Then if he realized he wasn't thinking about it the emotions flooded into his heart and throat and he could feel himself choking on his tears.

The Number Two hero wasn't good enough.

Bakugou filed his paperwork and fiddled with the ring that dangled around his neck. It kept him grounded, reminded him that at least something in this world, at this moment, was real.

He didn't remember the last time he spoke to his family or what he considered his friends. Because it was his fault. Who would actually want to reach out to him after that? Of course the phone rang for a week or two after what happened, but he couldn't answer it. He couldn't bring himself to face what he refused to accept.

He finished the paperwork and carefully slipped the necklace off. Hero work was too dangerous for something so precious. He did, however, hold the tattooed version of the ring on his own finger. That way it was permanent, it would never be damaged.

The villains were getting a little more gutsy in the past few weeks. Bakugou had been asked to take the week off but how could he when he needed to prove he was useful?

He stalked through the street, ignoring the pitiful glances thrown his way, and focused on protecting.

He would make it right.

Correct what he did wrong.

Because it was his fault.

A woman in the distance screamed and Bakugou sped towards the noise. She was running after somebody who seemed to have a child in his arms. A kidnapping. Bakugou confronted the villain from the front and the guy practically dropped the child out of fear. Bakugou caught the kid and returned him to his mother.

The boy smiled one of the brightest smiles Bakugou had seen in a long time.

He turned around and pursued the villain, getting ready to blast him. The villain pulled out a knife and Bakugou froze.

A knife.

Just like when it happened.

He was overcome with emotions as he screamed and launched at the villain, not holding back. He wouldn't kill the guy but he didn't know if he would be able to talk when he got to the police station.

***

Back at the office, Bakugou held the ring in his hands. It was cold. He sighed and stared at the ring. How the promise was still there.

Bakugou was never a sap.

At least that's what he told himself. But god if he didn't believe every single superstition Kirishima had.

The red head had to hold the door open for Bakugou. He considered it good luck. He had to walk on Bakugous right side. It was good luck. He had to be the one to propose because it was manly (even if Bakugou was pissed at him once he realized he lost the unspoken competition that was happening between the two.)